• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faulty Fan?

Looks like maybe the bearings in the pulley bracket are going.

Check your harmonic balancer that's what was bad on my xj made a awfull noise caught it just short of flying apart.

As I was driving it this afternoon the fan froze up completely. I guess that settles that. Input on replacing it with an electric fan? With that and a light bar do I need to start thinking about a bigger battery? I don't know much about electrical but would that be too much of a power draw?

It's not the battery that would be an issue, it's the alternator, that's the device that actually generates the electricity for the Jeep.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it at this point, however if you start noticing things like when you have your light bar on and the light dims when the fan kicks on then it's likely time for an upgrade. You could also install an ammeter (never a bad thing to have) and it will show you if the alternator is putting out enough power or not.

I would stick to a mechanical fan. You know it works and it will pull more air at slower speeds.
There are posts all over the internet about people replacing them with electric and then have overheating issues mostly at highway speeds.
Remember, you will have to change the bearings anyway and keep the hub........

I'm curious, why would switching to an electric fan lead to overheating issues at highway speeds? It's not like the fan is actually doing anything to cool the engine at those speeds.

Most electric fans do move enough air to replace the stock mechanical fan.

Unless you live in Death Valley the stock open cooling system, in good condition and with routine maintenance, will handle almost any situation.

I'm curious, why would switching to an electric fan lead to overheating issues at highway speeds? It's not like the fan is actually doing anything to cool the engine at those speeds.

I may be wrong and my memory aint what it used to be, but the 9 bladed electric fan just about blocks air flow at highway speeds.

A google search would probably lead you to some real life experiences posted. I have not ever used all electric fans.

As Tim posted, the mechanical fan moves more air and you can feel that for yourself. As long as you have a healthy fan clutch that is on the mechanical.

Whoops, I misread Tim's post! Adjust accordingly! LOL

I was driving from ABQ to AMA one day a few years ago when I lost my alternator. I was unfamiliar with the towns in between and what was available there, so I was hell bent to make AMA just on battery power alone. With all electric cooling fans, I probably would have ran out of electrical power. As it was, I shut down everything I could electrical and made it with enough energy to get to a auto parts store that had a alternator. Changed it in the parking lot and with a boost was able to get running again and complete the next 450 miles to get home!

I would stick to a mechanical fan. You know it works and it will pull more air at slower speeds.
There are posts all over the internet about people replacing them with electric and then have overheating issues mostly at highway speeds.
Remember, you will have to change the bearings anyway and keep the hub........

I have seen two videos on YouTube where they bypassed the fan hub altogether with a different size belt. They also claim to have a noticeable increase in power available due to removing the drag of the mechanical fan from the engine. Anyone experience this?

I have seen two videos on YouTube where they bypassed the fan hub altogether with a different size belt. They also claim to have a noticeable increase in power available due to removing the drag of the mechanical fan from the engine. Anyone experience this?

Yes but you will exchange the fan hp for the hp required for your alternator.

Back