• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 31-spline part numbers

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a 1999 31-spline Ford Explorer 8.8 axle on my XJ. It was a new housing that I bought in a clearance sale. I have no idea what exact model of Ford it was for, so I don't know the engine or the VIN for part number lookups.

Increasingly, US parts stores like NAPA are blocking overseas web site visitors so even simple parts lookups are getting harder for me in the UK. I need to build up a comprehensive parts number list for all of the non-original donor parts on my Jeeps, so I thought I would start with this one.

I have a wheel bearing on the way out that I would like to source a replacement for before I strip down the axle. Does anyone know what the correct part numbers are for the 31-spline axle wheel bearing and the seal?

For elimination purposes, I know the part numbers for the 28-spline are:
Bearing: SKF R1563-TAV, Timken 5707
Seal: SKF 13992, Timken 8660S

I am guessing the part numbers for the 31-spline may be these:

Bearing:
SKF R1559-TV
National 6408

Seal:
SKF 16404National 8835S
WJB WS8835S
BCA NS8835S

Can anyone confirm the 31-spline bearing number?

The National 6408 and 8835S appear to be correct based on RockAuto.com's recommendations for a 99 Explorer.

Back