• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built '98 with 215k miles. Pass or buy?

FatSlobBob

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys and gals I swear this is the last one of these posts I'll make. I trust your judgement so I keep coming back!

Found a clean '98, 4.0, 4x4, and a 5-speed! It has 215k miles, clean title.

-6.5" RC long arm lift on 35s
-SYE and custom driveshaft
-one ton steering
-4.88 yukon gears
-detroit lockers front and rear
-steel front and rear bumpers, stinger on front with winch, rock sliders

Tranny/diffs/TC serviced 2.5k miles ago. Seller says compression is 160 across all cylinders. Claims no wobble, vibes, odd noises, dash lights, etc. No rust issues.

I could get it for $6300.

I would drive it 1-2x per week as a daily and as an adventure rig. I drive a total of around 6k miles per year. Thoughts? Should I wait for a lower mileage rig? I'm relatively mechanically inclined and can do most work myself. I used to own a '96 and am familiar with the 4.0.

Are you likely to be commuting in the snow?

I ask because you should make sure you aren't going to have issues with the Detroit locker.

The 5 speed is a plus in my book.

215K isn't especially high for these vehicles. I know there are plenty of folks who are over 300K.

Damn that's a good point. It will be going over a mountain pass and into a snowy area every winter. Maybe I could just remove and resell the lockers.

The 5-speed is definitely a plus in my book, too. I just wonder if it's worth the $6300 with 215k miles

That mileage would not scare me. It depends on how it was maintained. 5sp a + in my book, but I have autos presently. RC and 6 inch lift is not my cup of tea. I do hear the RC long arms are OK. See what others opinions are. No Rust means $$ to me. Aftermarket bumpers if you like them, as for looks and functions would be $300-$400 each +value. SYE + $400. Those to me are used prices. A 98 is a good year. A few improvements in the '99 year. I do not think the price is out of line.

Edit: Also the cross over steering add $$. I have RuffStuff 1-ton Chevy on both of my XJs with WJ big brakes. It makes a difference. I consider the Ruff Stuff 1-ton Chevy a true cross over steering. Some of the others look to me as a modified 'Y'. I would say +500 for a crossover steering. I'd check on brake upgrades, since 35's. I'd drive it and go from there. No wobbles, no rust, tracks good, I'd say good for the price. If others say they can get one cheaper list it.
Edit again: ask when the cooling system was last serviced. I think a bit more of an issue with 2000-2001s.

Last edited:
If its pretty much what you are looking for then yes, seems like a good deal. Won't be long and they will be asking that price for beater xjs!

Thanks guys! I also confirmed the lockers are detroit truetracs so their road manners are much, much better than standard old detroits.

And I should have said LSD, not locker. Truetracs aren't actual lockers. But they sound perfect for my application

Back