• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo time , rip my plan apart

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Time to add a turbo to my 89 xj! The plan:low boost, power bumper to aid in daily and long travel on highway in steep grades withmy 35s
Heregoes : engine i fully rebuilt and has 40,000km, ive already added arg gauge, aem 340 pump, 24lbinjectors for now, adjustable map. Turbo will be pass mounted subaru 20g with welded wastegate, up pipe rerouted up into roomy passenger inner cavern, turbosmart external wastegate, turbosmart veepro bov, use spare subaru up and downpipe flanges and whatever pipe needed. Subaru jdm b4 sti blitzen Top mount intercooler, all cheap as possible charge piping, silicone couplers and fab a Pipe to odd throttlebody Pipe. Fueling for now will be a holley boost referenced variable adjustable ratio, adjustable bleed rising rate fmu with incab dial tweeking, a msd digital 6plus with boost retard and a cool j&s knock ultrasafeguard for full individual timing control. Possibly add water meth , we will see. And until i know its a success a manual boost controller before i go buying a aem truboost, aem stuff has gotten spendy after covid. Again im not looking for big numbers just get things spooling. The renix ecu is pretty forgiving and can deal with knock fairly well as well as fuel, and its just dumb enough at the same time! If it all works well ill maybe shoot for a proper fuel and ecu setup, as for timing ill have all i need. Nice stock ecu looking for most advance based on na knock maps, with the j&s to work handin hand to dial ineach cylinder to its own timing to the degree. #6 will love that special attention. Cheers !

I would definitely look into a post-oiler for the turbo. I built my pre-oiler to also work with a turbo if I decided to go that way.

I run a turn buckle holding the waste gate closed on my cummins. I dont think id weld it. The turbo is pretty spendy someday I may want to run a waste actuator to kill boost at 45psi. I sure know I can't count on my foot to pedal off tge fuel.

Theres a few 4.0 turbo manifolds I've seen. I'll see if I can find a link.

I'll leave you with this.

Is it worth it?

Youl need to gain control of fuel, timing, you'll need to pull more air.
You have no ability to mechanicly or programming.
Yeah a turbo is cool but is it worth it.

But maybe 5-10psi would up power and drive ability beyond what the 4.0 was capable of.

Turbos are all the rave lately

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you only need the performance boost for a few hills then nitrous oxide may be a better option. Less complicated, less heat under the hood, no intercooler required.

Are there superchargers available? Constant boost, not so rpm sensitive. Seems a better choice for offroad. Shoot me down.

Are there superchargers available? Constant boost, not so rpm sensitive. Seems a better choice for offroad. Shoot me down.

Yes, they are a little more compact and designed for the 4.0!

I run a turn buckle holding the waste gate closed on my cummins. I dont think id weld it. The turbo is pretty spendy someday I may want to run a waste actuator to kill boost at 45psi. I sure know I can't count on my foot to pedal off tge fuel.

Theres a few 4.0 turbo manifolds I've seen. I'll see if I can find a link.

I'll leave you with this.

Is it worth it?

Youl need to gain control of fuel, timing, you'll need to pull more air.
You have no ability to mechanicly or programming.
Yeah a turbo is cool but is it worth it.

But maybe 5-10psi would up power and drive ability beyond what the 4.0 was capable of.

Turbos are all the rave lately

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Im routing stock exhaust over and up to the pass side, will be running a externalbwastegate valve with spring crack pressure of 6 psi, and a boost controller to add from there until i can buy another trueboost to gain a lil adjustability of boost curve and gain some tuneable control. The supplemented pump, injectors and holley fmu with a adj map sensor should fuel mild boost to a point, the j&s knockguard will fully let the ecu run as designed for na, advanced as possible and pull timing on a per cylinder basis, with option of retarding manually up to 5 degrees of retard per psi boost. The 20g turbo is used of buddies 450whp subaru, Its welded shit already or id not bother with a external wastegate valve in the uppipe. Being map and not maf i can vent to atmoshphere vs returning to post maf metered pre intake duct

There have been a few people who try that but even with a super charger, boost still usually comes in at the same time a turbo does. Not only that you can only reach so much with the super chargers that work with the 4.0. While he does wanna stay low power, he can easily go much higher with a turbo than a charger if he ever decides too.

Also stock 4.0s can handle lots of boost suprisingly, it's all in the tune. He's seemed to already done a few good mods to help so he should have good results.

It is cool to see a super charger sticking thru the hood tho:D

Back