• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express VS. Rustys leaf Springs

Cherokee_boggers49

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a set of 4.5" lift leaf springs for my XJ. I did some research price wise and came up with Rubicon Express-$300.00 bucks and Rustys for-250.00 wouldn't mind saving $50 bucks but i was wondering if spending the 50 is worth it or not? I know ther is shipping/freight or whatever but i am guessing they should both be around the same. If ther is another company i should look also that would be great.

Thanks Ry

dont know rusty but the RE springs ride great and flex great. Ive heard bad things about a lot of rusty stuff, never had any of it but, ive had RE stuff and its great. The only thing that RE messes up occasionally are discos (old ones) and their driveshafts are unbalanced once and a while. Other than that RE suspension kicks some a$$. Id say shop around for some used leaf packs. Most of the time they are on just long enough to settle so they ride great and flex awesome minus a little surface rust.

Your gonna get the same ol' answer. guys who run RE will tell you RE, guys who run Rusty's will tell you run Rusty's. IMHO they both are great products. I myself am on my second set of Rusty's springs and absolutely love'm. first set were the 4.5" second are the 6.5". be prepared for extra lift out of them my Rusty's were at 5 1/2"'s at first and settled to 5".

does any buddy know the differn't spring rates for rusty's, RE, skyjacker, BDS, etc?

and just timbit I found on the rusty site

"Over 2 years ago the 4.5" and the 6.5" leaf packs had 5 leafs , plus I was using the same spring rate as the 3.5", They rode very good and flexed great. The problem arose when someone would add a bumper and tire carrier, roof rack, tool boxes and spare parts. They would add more parts than a 1/2 ton truck would hold up. The XJ is rated for less than a 1/4 ton, but they would put this gear and the springs would drop in height. Springs are rated by pounds needed to compress the spring. Our spring at that time where about 150 pounds , so for every 200 to 250 pounds in would come down an inch. Nothing wrong with that unless you are carring a big load, most of the customers loved them for the ride and flex and that is how I designed them.

Now Oct. of '02 we changed to a 6 leaf spring and have put the spring rate to just uder 200 lbs. Still the softest in the industry but will hold up the weight of tire carriers and gear. In the year of '04 I have not had to warranty a single leaf spring or coils spring.

As for comparion, our springs are manufactured by the same company that makes Rancho , Fabtech, Rubicon Express, Rubicon was having problems with their coil company and asked who we where using and are now using them.

The spring that we offer now is the best of both worlds. Some people that dont carry a load and want the softer ride will even pull the bottom 6th leaf out because they dont need the load capasity. The springs as well as all of Rusty's Off Road products carry a full Limited Lifetime warranty, which means that with a leaf spring; if it droops or breaks we replace, as long as it hasn't been in an accident or such"

I would PM jeepinjoe. He could get me a set of RE's for $125 for the pair! Unless I misunderstood him. Even if I did they would still would be only $250 for the pair.

:EDIT: Hope he dosn't mind the reference.

i have a 4.5" rustys leaves. they sag a little after a year or so. they also wrap like no tomarrow. so good luck.

I've got the 4.5" Rusty's kit with leaf springs. I've only had it on for a few months, but so far so good. Rides well, gives great lift, and doesn't make any weird noises or handle weird. just my .02

I'm corresponding with the folks at Big Offroad? I think it's in Colorado. I have no experience with their product, but he claimed that his springs are built to carry an extra #250 from the start, and that he has never had anyone wear out or sag his springs?
Anyone have experience with these springs? He's looking into getting a 3 to 3.5inch lift spring for me. His smallest was 4.5inch.
I was considering the RE 3.5inch leaves, but got a little skittish after my rear sagged a bunch with the addition of rear bumper/tire carrier and tank skidplate. I haven't started with tools/high lift/or parts yet! I started to look at the Currie 4 inch leaves, thinking they would settle to about 3inches? I like the extra 1/2 leaf on top. I think that helps with spring wrap. I'm looking for a spring I can put on, drive daily, flex moderately, and not have to replace every year!
HTH,
Andy

i had the skyjacker full 3inch pack on mine . i put class 3 and a warn rear bumper (no tire carrier) and it FLATENED the pack. i now have shackels to compensate and the ride sucks. im going a full stiff 6inch leaf pack soon and be done with it.
good looks

keith h

ChuckstrPT said:
I'm corresponding with the folks at Big Offroad? I think it's in Colorado. I have no experience with their product, but he claimed that his springs are built to carry an extra #250 from the start, and that he has never had anyone wear out or sag his springs?
Anyone have experience with these springs? He's looking into getting a 3 to 3.5inch lift spring for me. His smallest was 4.5inch.
I was considering the RE 3.5inch leaves, but got a little skittish after my rear sagged a bunch with the addition of rear bumper/tire carrier and tank skidplate. I haven't started with tools/high lift/or parts yet! I started to look at the Currie 4 inch leaves, thinking they would settle to about 3inches? I like the extra 1/2 leaf on top. I think that helps with spring wrap. I'm looking for a spring I can put on, drive daily, flex moderately, and not have to replace every year!
HTH,
Andy

even though I run the Rusty's, I know JohnJohn at Big Offroad and he has an excellant product, top notch guy and great customer service. I believe his springs a made by Alcan.

ChuckstrPT said:
they get my reccomendation - my next leaf pack will come from them no doubt...
-Ranger
(currently i run RE 4.5" Xtreme Duty leaves that netted 3.25" of lift - i bought them used... i dont think its RE's fault)

does any buddy know the differn't spring rates for rusty's, RE, skyjacker, BDS, etc?

and just timbit I found on the rusty site

"Over 2 years ago the 4.5" and the 6.5" leaf packs had 5 leafs , plus I was using the same spring rate as the 3.5", They rode very good and flexed great. The problem arose when someone would add a bumper and tire carrier, roof rack, tool boxes and spare parts. They would add more parts than a 1/2 ton truck would hold up. The XJ is rated for less than a 1/4 ton, but they would put this gear and the springs would drop in height. Springs are rated by pounds needed to compress the spring. Our spring at that time where about 150 pounds , so for every 200 to 250 pounds in would come down an inch. Nothing wrong with that unless you are carring a big load, most of the customers loved them for the ride and flex and that is how I designed them.

Now Oct. of '02 we changed to a 6 leaf spring and have put the spring rate to just uder 200 lbs. Still the softest in the industry but will hold up the weight of tire carriers and gear. In the year of '04 I have not had to warranty a single leaf spring or coils spring.

As for comparion, our springs are manufactured by the same company that makes Rancho , Fabtech, Rubicon Express, Rubicon was having problems with their coil company and asked who we where using and are now using them.

The spring that we offer now is the best of both worlds. Some people that dont carry a load and want the softer ride will even pull the bottom 6th leaf out because they dont need the load capasity. The springs as well as all of Rusty's Off Road products carry a full Limited Lifetime warranty, which means that with a leaf spring; if it droops or breaks we replace, as long as it hasn't been in an accident or such"

I wish Rusty's leaf springs were Guaranteed. Granted my 4.5 inch Rusty's leafs have been in use over 10 years, and are currently on it's second Jeep. They are sagging badly, and I noticed one leaf has broken. And so it would be super cool if I could get a free replacement, but not according to their website:
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/guarantee-warranty

However 10 years of use is pretty good. Even still if there is something better, I'd rather have that. When I asked online people suggested OME or Iron Rock offroad. Still researching, but I need to be ordering before my axle falls off my Jeep.

Back