• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ass cancer rehab build thread

Burnt_Toast

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, been lurking for awhile and figured it's time I joined the fun. I've got an 00' Cherokee with a mild case of ass cancer which for being up here in Maine all it's life it's not terrible but it's time to fix it up.

This is my winter rig and it was suppose to be done like yesterday so I'm rushing to get all this done.

Two weeks ago I decided to remove my factory tow hitch since it's seen better days.

J8rmPH1l.jpg

When doing so I realized the frame was soft by the fuel neck and the rust spots I had been ignoring where the bump stops used to be had turned into holes.

0ERVgaKl.jpg

5H5KAK3l.jpg

First thing I did was remove the rear bumper. These will be getting a cut n fold well minus the fold part since there's nothing left to fold lol
vY3Adegl.jpg

rLqvx3kl.jpg

Gas tank straps were getting iffy
rN6UGnml.jpg

Ended up dropping the gas tank since I realized this would be a pretty big job at this point.
lm9tu3Hl.jpg

84LE5FJl.jpg

Gl8rdTLl.jpg

LM6jnJSl.jpg

Guess the cargo floor is being replaced too lol.
bqaMnpql.jpg

Removed the rear crossmember.
U406Hvgl.jpg

Started making a custom one.
4tq8R6Ol.jpg

I had never done any real fabrication till this. Hence all the mistakes lol. The new crossmember is 11 gauge. Factory was 16 gauge (I think).
cgYqJYTl.jpg

Painted up with SPI epoxy primer
xHOYsC8l.jpg

Reinstalled.
ANJAVnQl.jpg

Then I got the finest Harbor Freight metal brake my budget could afford and modded it up.
ufmfFAPl.jpg

Bent up some new frame pieces with 16 gauge steel. This is my first time using a metal brake. The small angled piece was a total pain. The frame changes size there and I spent two hours working out how to recreate it.
8j5BeWHl.jpg

Roughed together passenger side frame. This will go from the rear crossmember all the way to where the front bracket for the rear leafs are.
K4fLGobl.jpg

krNQkVJl.jpg

Cut out the old one. This part sucked. The more I cut, the lower my confidence went that I'd be able to save this thing.
dZTW6h6l.jpg

Test fit of the new frame rail
Kgn4myml.jpg

Those little pieces going across the rails are just temporary to prevent warping when I was welding.
XAp7blel.jpg

e3wR5kBl.jpg

Not too bad! I'm sticking with stock specs so I can add on frame stiffeners when I'm done.

Next up is finalize the passenger frame rail then paint / install it. After that I'll cut out the driver side one and repeat the process. Then it's time for a custom shock crossmmeber since mine is rotted.

I'm shooting to have this done in two weeks...

Back