• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine/Oil Heating Options?

xjismydd

NAXJA Forum User
Driving an XJ.

I'll be spending the winter where it gets down to negative 30 for weeks at a time.

I won't be able to pull the manifold to install that kind of block heater.

So what is my best option?

The silicone heater pads heat up the oil. Is that enough?

There are the ones I could install on the bottom heater hose I guess? That kind of run the coolant through them and heat as they go. Is that good?

What about the mag heaters? I don't want to bend down all the time to take it on/off, but maybe I could just open the hood and stick it on the side?

The one you install in your hose you can plug it into the electricty at night and it circulates the water and you have heat first thing in the am.

A heat source under the pan can work. Have used a Coleman stove under a VW engine block in an old Microbus to unfreeze the oil!

I believe you cam get heaters for the oil pan that run off 110 volts.

There are the ones I could install on the bottom heater hose I guess? That kind of run the coolant through them and heat as they go. Is that good?

Didn't know they had that for Jeeps, but coolant heaters like that are quite popular for the cold-climate VW TDI crowd (see frostheater.com). I was going to suggest looking into whether such a thing was available, then noticed you mentioned it in your post.

Rob

Driving an XJ.

I'll be spending the winter where it gets down to negative 30 for weeks at a time.

I won't be able to pull the manifold to install that kind of block heater.

So what is my best option?

The silicone heater pads heat up the oil. Is that enough?

What about the mag heaters? I don't want to bend down all the time to take it on/off, but maybe I could just open the hood and stick it on the side?

That is the one I would recommend. They are very common on stationary backup diesel generators and powered from 110 volts.

My guess is, the outlet from the heater could be "T"eed into the 1/2 inch coolant hose that is attached to the water pump and the and the inlet to the heater to the small hose on the thermostat housing also using a "T".

Another way which is my preferred way is to put the outlet from the heater into the block coolant drain hole. The inlet to the heater should remain at the thermostat housing.

I have a brand new Mopar freeze plug - type block heater still in the box that I didn't install. I paid $75 + shipping for it. You can have it for $70 shipped

You do not need to remove the manifold to install a block heater. Just pull the air box knock out the first breeze plug install the block heater takes about 30 minutes.

Back