• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greasing drive shaft splines

Fors78

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I am new here, just bought a 1995 XJ a couple weeks ago, I noticed some leaking from the rear transfer case output seal, so went and bought a new seal and installed it. Now I am having a clunking feel/sound when let off the gas at higher speeds. I have read alot over the last few days about greasing the driveshaft splines, most writeups I find say to undo the boot and slide the shaft out and grease it up real good. My problem is I have no boot, I have a housing that comes out and covers most of the splines, I have attached a picture I found on the net with what mine looks like. My question is, do I grease this type of output, or is it lubricated by the transfer case fluid? Most of the shaft seems to be behind the seal.

I have some knowledge when working on vehicles but not alot, especially when messing with the drivetrain.

ZSZr3GH

1996 or 1997 is when the external slip yoke and rubber boot was installed.

You can suspect u-joints, suspension bushings, shock bushings, engine and transmission mounts or simply age and mileage wear on the differential parts for the clunking.

Back