• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter working reversely

Daretorepair

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and Jeep XJs. Was the first car I drove on the beach in my dads lap but finally purchased one myself. 1996 4.0 4x4 sport with auto trans. I bought it with no trans in it Bc it was the cleanest one I had seen. Installed transmission etc... lots of other things as well but it doesn’t pertain...

the issue I’m having (trust me I’ve been searching the forum for two weeks) is once the engine is warm the torque converter engages and disengages opposite as to what I would expect. Say I’m cruising at 70mph the torque converter is disengaged but a hill comes up and I have to put the car under load now it engages. What going on!!?? When trying into accelerate it will engage and as soon as you back off the pedal it disengages. It does this In 3rd as well. And no it’s not stuck in 3rd. It’s not downshifting. All the gears go smoothly when manually shifted and without. I adjusted the computers gear selection module thing. Adjusted TV or kickdown cable numerous times including manually taking slack out. Fluid level is perfect. It has 29” tires and gps speed vs speedo is almost perfectly on.
Would a bad solenoid cause it to work backwards? Is there a way that the wiring could be reversed? Computer seeing something in reverse? It’s boggling my mind... any ideas would be extremely helpful.

Update....
I ended up replacing solenoids and putting new fluid in the transmission. Still no luck. I just purchased a new trans control and will see if that does it.

Back