• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj just randomly dies

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the low down.

88xj 4.0 aw4.

recently just last week i was noticing it was feeling like it would hesitate for a second. but only when i hit just the right bump in the road. it didn't do it all the time.

now today. was driving around. hit just the right bump. and the engine dies. I still had accessory power cuz my cd player didn't miss a beat.

anyone experience similar issues. i'm not even sure wtf to start looking for.

also should mention. once i come to a stop and put it in park again had a little trouble starting back up it would sputter a bit. then i just got angry and floored it while cranking. and it fired up. but something is causing it to just stop like someone took the key out.

Last edited:
first check cps.

then all grounds.

90 percent of the time that will do it

if not then start checking all contacts and relays.

well the main grounds are good. i just replaced the main negative off the battery.
as well put on a new connector to the cluster of grounds that comes off the engine harness and grounds to the engine block back near the firewall.

think the cps could be randomly loosing signal? therefor engine dies?

cuz last week when it was doing it. it wouldn't shut right off. it would catch again and keep going without me having to engage the starter.

now when it does it. the engine shuts right down.

The symptoms can be well described as matching a flakey CPS.

well i managed a stroke of luck. a buddy of has a brand new mopar cps with wiring harness he just gave me. i guess he had it on standby when he had is old xj.

any info on what i need to do to wiring in this new harness adapter that it came with?

i know the cps is in a tight spot. i figure i'll just lower the cross member down enuff to gain better access to it. so thats no biggie. just concerned about this new wiring harness it comes with.

i swear to god guy's i no sooner fix 1 problem on this thing and 2 more spring up.

i had the exact same hesitation/stumbling problem. havent felt it since i replaced all the cables with 5-90s upgrade kit.. my main ground was really bad inside the jacket.

Unbolt the cross member and drop it a couple of inches. Use a long, as in 24" or better extension and hit the bolts from the back.

Back