• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a 8.25

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
I scored a 29 spline 8.25 out of a 2001 automatic, I have a 96 with a 8.25 and i am not sure if its a 27 or 29 spline but it has 3.07 gears and I am using this rear mainly for the gearing since i run 31s and got it for 35bucks.

The one difference I noticed in the axles is the parking brake set up. The older jeeps the adjuster is right in the middle of the trans tunnel basically, and the 01 it is mounted to the frame rail. i took the entire assembly off the 01, will i be able to hook it up to my brake handle? Should I hook it up to the old stuff somehow? Anyone have any advice or other swapping issues i should be aware of before I give it a go.

I was able to do a straight swap putting a 01 8.25 in replacing the D35 on my 95 xj. dont worry about the parking brake cables. just use the ones that are on your jeep already. the brake assemblies are the same for all the years. just disassemble your brakes to the point where you can pull off the e brake cable. remove the axle. put new one in and disassemble the new ones brakes to the point where you can put the e brake cable on. reasemble and you are enjoying a little more strength in your rear end!

its really simple. some advice though- if your not the greatest at drum brakes or if you dont have a photographic memory, take digital pictures or make drawings of each step of the tear down of the brakes. include orientation of each spring. it will help when reasembling.

hth
stewie

Back