• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8l engine swap

jaskam_78332

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone ever swapped a 2.8l v6 for another engine of better quality? what engine if any will bolt right in? thank you for your responses. adam

i know alot of people have swapped in the GM 3.1 or 3.4's out of many of the camaro's or berretta's. i believe the 3.1 is a direct bolt in swap, i'm not sure if the 3.4 is as easy but i'm sure its pretty straight forward as well. I'm sure someone else can give you some more details about it here.

Eric

Gm makes a 3.4 crate motor to swap as direct fit for S10 and S10 blazers equipped with the 2.8 . This might be the thing if you want a new motor(as in, pay new motor $). They arent cheap and I cant figure out why they even made it since most 2.8 using vehicles have long since passed.

DPC said:
Gm makes a 3.4 crate motor to swap as direct fit for S10 and S10 blazers equipped with the 2.8 . This might be the thing if you want a new motor(as in, pay new motor $). They arent cheap and I cant figure out why they even made it since most 2.8 using vehicles have long since passed.
$1700 (2 years ago) from dealer, + shipping and tax. :D
I think they are just trying to get rid of hundreds of extra 3.4 rwd blocks that they couldn't sell in Camaros/Firebirds.

BTW, the 3.4 was only available in rwd form (with starter on right side) in Camaros and Firebirds. NOT in Barretas or other fwd's.

It's a straight bolt-up to your tranny. (As is the 3.1.)
You can get a complete cambird engine with induction, FI, computer, sensors, wiring harness, and dash controls.
Or you can just get a 3.4 long block and install your existing accessories and intake/carb.

You can replace your POS Rochester 2SE carb with a Weber carb (about $400 for a kit from www.webercarbs.com). Works for 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4 with appropriate jetting.
Great power and milage upgrade.

You can get a complete 4.0 I6 and tranny from another (wrecked) Jeep, and shoe-horn it in. You'll have to replace the radiator and the metal clip that supports it, and pound some on the firewall to get some more clearance.

Those are your only emissions-legal engine upgrades.
Some people have gone to the trouble of installing small block fords or chevys, and the wider (90*) chevy 4.3 V6 has also been installed. All of these require a different tranny than you have.

DPC said:

Not around here, lots of old S10's, Troopers, Camaro's, and even a few XJ's like mine. I know of quite a few 2.8's with over 150k, a trooper with over 200k, and the PO of mine got 240k out of the one in mine before the 3.4 went in. I think a good bit of it has to do with keeping the oil changed and keeping up with all the routine maint.
Mike B.

Has anyone done the complete swap from a camaro? I would like to use the fuel injection, computer and wiring in my 86 MJ. I just wonder how to get it to work.

daron said:
Has anyone done the complete swap from a camaro? I would like to use the fuel injection, computer and wiring in my 86 MJ. I just wonder how to get it to work.

My swap reused all of the 2.8 stuff on the 3.4 long block. To use the 3.4 injection system I think you'll just need the comp. & wiring harness and then mount it all up in your MJ. The details like a check engine light and grafting the ignition circuit of the MJ to the 3.4 harness would be made easier if you had the FSM for the MJ and the Camaro I'd think. I've never found a write up on using the FI so it looks like your on your own.... though it can't really be too hard if you have the schematics from the FSM's.
I've got the Weber for mine when I get a chance to put it on, I like things simple. :D
Mike B.

Back