• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help requested

Sting25

twitter.com/cmchadwick
Hello all,

I need help with my t-case please. I would love for someone familiar with np231's to help me adjust my linkage. I spent ALL day playing with it and am concerned I am going to blow it up.

I will gladly trade wrenching time/help with your rig for taking a look at my linkage I may need to rebuild the t-case?? I don’t know.

at this point I got it into 4wd and took the front DS out so it is mobile. I can go anywhere in the Denver area and Northern Colorado.

Here are things I have done to my rig in the last 2 weeks
1.re 3.5 lift
2.T-case swap
3.T-case drop
4.Rear main seal
5.Rear disc conversion (this was very fun)

:hang:

Adjusting the linkage is pretty easy - wish I had a pic right now, but there is a long rod coming forward from the t-case. On the forward end of that, there is a bolt holding the rest of the linkage together. Loosen the bolt, then make sure the t-case is in 4-lo (all the way to the rear). You may need to get the wheels in the air to do it though. Put the t-case shifter in 4-lo, and then tighten the bolt.

Yucca-Man said:
Adjusting the linkage is pretty easy - wish I had a pic right now, but there is a long rod coming forward from the t-case. On the forward end of that, there is a bolt holding the rest of the linkage together. Loosen the bolt, then make sure the t-case is in 4-lo (all the way to the rear). You may need to get the wheels in the air to do it though. Put the t-case shifter in 4-lo, and then tighten the bolt.

I have done this, over and over and over. I grabbed the instructions off of many different sites.

Put the truck in the air.
put the t-case in 4 low
use a 3mm shim
loosen the bolt to let the linkage slide
blah blah blah

Grind grind smoke is all I get
I think I can get 4WL 4WH and neutral and lots of grinding where I should get 2wd.

I just put this t-case in I KNOW my other one is toast...
The wife is gonna kill me if I want to spend more $$$ on another t-case without someone more knowledgeable taking a look.

Let me be more specific.....

I just need a person to listen to it.....Not get dirty or spend hours and hours...I know what bolts to loosen to make everything slide. But with the noises its making I think I am breaking something. I have no qualms about doing a rebuild, but would rather not if I can avoid it.

hmmmmm random thought.
I have a second np231 I shifted but I think the chain is very stretched (If I shake it you can hear it hit the side). Worst case I use this np231 with the chain off the 231 in my xj...Still a day of work I would not like to do if not needed.

Am I in danger of killing my transmission? Due to grinding the gears over and over to see if the last t-case adjustment worked?

How's it coming? Still not adjusting correctly?

I wasn't sure how you'd been adjusting so I figured it would be better to be on the safe side and give you that procedure.

Oddball thought - if you loosen that adjusting nut and manually force 2wd, does it still grind?

Jim

Ya is still not right, I am starting to aquire what I need to combine the case thats in my xj and the one I pulled. I think just the chain may be worn in my old one.

LOL I am going to be good at switching t-cases by next week!!

I think I fried something while messing with it as well. No horn, no temp gauge, no speedo.. I cant figure the relationship between them all but going to check fuses tonight.

Thanks for checking on me :)

Back