• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton longarms and Peugot transmission?

NotMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I should probably just call Clayton and ask about it, but it's Sunday and I'm sure they're not open for business, so I figured maybe someone on here knows more about this.

I know the transmission crossmember is in a different location on the Peugot BA10/5 equipped jeeps (mine's an '87). Does this mean I cannot run clayton's crossmember and arms, or do the arms have enough adjustment either way to make up the difference?

Also, where the heck do I go to order the hard arm kit itself (just arms and crossmember). I've looked all over clayton's site and can't seem to find a "store", are there any dealers that sell his products, or do I need to just call them directly tomorrow to order?

Yeah, you just call and tell them what you want to order and then give them your credit card info, etc. So when you call, just ask about the tranny mount too.

i was in the same boat back when i ordered the kit when it first came out. He incorperated a 4" change in the crossmember that allowed the arm mounts to be welded just as in any other XJ and also use the 36" long arms. only the center section was changed and it has worked perfectly for a long time. I believe i was the first one with the peugoet and claytons long arms. anyway, he will make you the custom center if you ask. now when i do the ax-15 swap all i have to do is alter the center section back to a straight tube and i'm good to go.

I have an '88 with the Peugeot tranny. Just replaced the tranny mount today, in fact. The cross member mounts to the forward of the two available positions (what some vendors refer to as the "10-inch specification). Don't know where it mounts for the AX-15 because I don't have anything that came with one stock (the AX-15 in my MJ was added by a previous owner out of a YJ so I don't have any way of knowing if the mount is stock or home-brew).

I think Clayton can take that into account. The factory only used two cross member locations -- 10" and 14" -- and the remaining differences were taken care of my the tranny mounts themselves.

Alright, time to update this thread. I placed my order shortly after through FullsizeXJgear.com. For the record, I'm extremely pleased with Richard's from fullsize's service, he was awesome to deal with and very helpful on the phone.

Anyway, we come to my dillema... I want to install my clayton hard arm kit this weekend, but I am not sure I received the right crossmember from them. The box said "Manual transmission", and I did specify manual transmission, but I also specified that I had the Peugot manual transmission. Well, here's what I received, and I need some assistance in identifying/determining whether this is for sure the x-member for the Peugot... it sure doesn't look like it, the mount is offcenter and there are no holes for the center of the tranny mount as with the factory crossmember. Did I get one for a standard manual (AX-15) or what the heck is this?

Here are the pics:

2.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Ehhh... nevermind on that, I actually looked under the jeep (gee... maybe I shoulda done that before posting)... the transmission mount on the peugot IS offset... guess I never paid much attention to it the countless times that crossmember has been off.

Not sure about the holes though, guess I'll figure that out if it's an issue.

You'll have to measure to be sure, but the Peugeot tranny mount is attached to the crossmember with 4 bolts in a recatangular pattern. And with the stock crossmember you have to drop the crossmember to access the bolts holding the mount to the tranny. I just replaced my tranny mount a couple of weeks ago, so that's why I remember.

Eagle said:
You'll have to measure to be sure, but the Peugeot tranny mount is attached to the crossmember with 4 bolts in a recatangular pattern. And with the stock crossmember you have to drop the crossmember to access the bolts holding the mount to the tranny. I just replaced my tranny mount a couple of weeks ago, so that's why I remember.

BTW -- if for some reason yours isn't correct and needs to be massaged, you can have Clayton call me. I still have the old mount and the old crossmember. I live just a few miles from his shop so I could drop them off for him to take measurements from.

Well, this appears to be the wrong mount... either that or Clayton has never designed one of these for a Peugot transmission before...

The whole top of the crossmember is flat... but the Peugot transmission mount has a concave shape to it (fits snug over the stock crossmember). The edges of the transmission mount are almost as long as the studs, thus there is no way this will bolt up to the tranny mount... the studs would not be long enough, and the edges would be the only contact point.

I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about Eagle, having seen a few Peugot tranny mounts.

The other intriguing thing is that there is no hole for the bolt/stud thing that goes through the middle of the Peugot transmission mount. That's not such a big deal... I had planned on just burning a hole in it with the torch... but now I'm completely stumped. I don't see any way to make this fit correctly without some major reworking of the transmission mount and/or crossmember.

What the heck?

Have you considered calling Clayton? He's a really good fellow to deal with, and you did specify after all.

burntkat said:
Have you considered calling Clayton? He's a really good fellow to deal with, and you did specify after all.

I'm not about to call and bug him on Memorial day weekend, even if he would answer the phone. BTW, like I said before, I ordered this stuff through FullsizeXJgear, not directly from Clayton's, so I'm thinking possibly there was a miscommunication. We'll see.

Well, I'm not going to get involved as an intermediary for either party. But ... I do have my old (slightly dented) crossmember and my old Peugeot mount here if you need me to take to Clayton's shop for use as a template. Lemme know.

Eagle said:
Well, I'm not going to get involved as an intermediary for either party. But ... I do have my old (slightly dented) crossmember and my old Peugeot mount here if you need me to take to Clayton's shop for use as a template. Lemme know.

Nah, no worries Eagle, I'm going to just wing it. I've got the material here to make a spacer for the transmission mount (I'll just mangle up the stock one as it's almost shot anyway), and I just noticed that the other pair of outer crossmember pieces I have (I ordered two kits at the same time... one for an AW4 rig and one for this Peugot) bolt up to the crossmember inverted so that the center section itself hangs down about 3/4" of an inch more, so that should make up the space and give me a bit of extra transfer case drop. The other rig has an SYE anyway. :)

Not sure why the two pairs of outer pieces I got are different... older style vs. newer maybe? Dunno, but it looks like it will work to my advantage.

Here are pics to visualize:

How mine will be:
xjdb.jpg

How the AW4 rig will be:
crossmember2.jpg

If there is a problem, PM me and explain what exactly is happening and I will get it straightened out for ya, you paid for a ready to go product and that is what you should get

That extra mount welded to the cross member is for your mount. The ax15 bolts to the 4 holes in the crossmemebr itself, like mine. You should have the right mount there. It looks like my old one...

I have a brand new center section for the peugot. It doesnt look like yours but I'll sell it to you. I bought the kit from claytons and before I got to install the peugot went out . I did the AX-15 conversion and had to get a new center section.

HilltopXJ said:
I have a brand new center section for the peugot. It doesnt look like yours but I'll sell it to you. I bought the kit from claytons and before I got to install the peugot went out . I did the AX-15 conversion and had to get a new center section.

Hmm... well, honestly if the Peugot center section is completely different, then I'm going to make this one work with the spacer I made and call it good, because I may eventually swap an AW4 into this rig using Brett's shifting kit, and it looks like all I'd have to do is cut the extra peugot stuff off if I do that, the current crossmember would still work for an auto.

Back