• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Talk me out of a runner XJ...

99StockerAZ

NAXJA Forum User
I took my XJ to the Glamorous Glamis sand dunes and how I have a fever... No, it's not Covid... I want to make my XJ better for goin' (kinda) fast.

Here's what's done right now (not much):

- SYE/HD driveshaft
- Brown Dogs
- Random ZJ replacement coils and 2 inch spacers
- OEM replacement HD leafs w/ 2" BB shackles

This jeep has a HP30 front/Chry 8.25 rear.

I don't want to lift crazy high.

Where should I start?
ec126847e9c2a173e95f2ab76d9d31a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Weld on frame stiffeners sooner rather than later. All of these jeeps are getting fatigued and nothing will preserve it like a stiffening kit. Once the unibody starts to go it is all downhill, broken windows and cant open doors. I did it with mine and it was a game changer. No more random cracks and pops even when towing on bad terrain.

Frame stiffeners is good advice.

Weld on frame stiffeners sooner rather than later. All of these jeeps are getting fatigued and nothing will preserve it like a stiffening kit. Once the unibody starts to go it is all downhill, broken windows and cant open doors. I did it with mine and it was a game changer. No more random cracks and pops even when towing on bad terrain.
I plan on that, for sure. I'd like to integrate lower-control arm brackets into that, as well. I want to stay light as possible but make sure I don't taco anything.

Should I do an exo-cage or cage in the car?

What's the best front-end setup for runnin'?

Deavers and big was shocks on the rear? Can an 8.25 be built to hold up?

This is going to be a long-term plan probably including a motor overhaul (possible stroker).

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

An exocage isn’t going to be light.

You can add stiffeners without needing to integrate the lower control arm brackets. Buy from Ruffstuff.

I've started to shy away from ruff stuff spent a few thousand there and every order is missing a key part.

Trying barnes now and randomness ebay.

I think a stinky fab 3 link with tuned coilovers or even just tuned shocks with decent 3-4" coils would be a game changer.

My xj is running a 3link front. I kinda copied the sfr set up. Running 12" coilovers tuned by accutune.
The rear is 6" shackles relocated, crown basterd packed 7" free arch leafs. Cheap fox 2.0 shocks.
I can take rough terrain more than twice as fast and comfortably compared to 3link front with reg shocks.

At some point the leafs will be yanked out of the rear for 14" coilovers with a triangulated 4 link of some kind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back