• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights and heater cores

Have you checked compression and done a leak down test?

No I haven't. I figured it was running so smooth that the problem would be something electrical.

No I haven't. I figured it was running so smooth that the problem would be something electrical.

You said it had a miss. I agree that it should be something electrical but will a bad head gasket cause a miss? I guess I should have asked that too.

Here is the CPS replacement.
75f00aab65924d63c4afd522b12d3752.jpg

This fixed it for a while then it started dying again. So we fixed it with more parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the plugs we took out. They look good as far as no oil or anything. All were dry and very worn out. I have no idea how many miles were on them.

cbffedd1074a018842d4e1d6bfd838a6.jpg

Here is what I put back in. Champion Copper plugs. It runs like a sewing machine when its running.
a3a45fab727d9d990b6db4b020fdb0b7.jpg

Here is the valve cover before, during and after installation. It was leaking badly and I had a cork gasket on hand. I really wanted to use the blue Fel-Pro gasket but they are almost $50 and I wasn't spending that.
effc01a397e9c22321247f7b96f0e824.jpg

654752d2ef206287e5bf32b1c67d5bdb.jpg

12f51b9fec50e5b25519c055eb437392.jpg

Last edited:
I got all I could get out of the rotor. It was shot and the cap was worn out too. The new rotor was the wrong one (in the picture) and I had to go back and exchange it.
834de7032f2c7eadc9100e3d72f5e3ae.jpg

That baby was stuck on there but we won.
d07c4ada4b150945ba5a5bf978f5cc24.jpg

I replaced the old coil. We were sure this was the problem the second time it died after replacing the CPS. We were wrong.
268813ea0274706bb34cd57b16f8c0f3.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't get any pictures but between the repairs and such, my daughter went to start the XJ one day and it sounded like it was going to throw a rod. It turns out that all four of the torque converter bolts had backed out of the flexplate! Some were finger tight.

That was a scary sound but ended up being not too bad of a fix.

What are the odds that the cam position sensor in the distributor has gone bad? Or the new CPS has failed already?

I need to get this Jeep back on the road. It was always fun to drive and now I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee to donate parts. I'd like to swap in rear disk brakes and a better master cylinder and booster.

What are the odds that the cam position sensor in the distributor has gone bad? Or the new CPS has failed already?

I need to get this Jeep back on the road. It was always fun to drive and now I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee to donate parts. I'd like to swap in rear disk brakes and a better master cylinder and booster.

From what I have heard it's very possible that the new parts have gone bad.

Back