• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do: OME too tall, Upcountry too short, Rancho NLA

linksvu

NAXJA Forum User
I'm stuck in a Goldilocks situation. I've read far too many forum posts on small lifts, leaf spring options, and anything related to replacing aging suspension, and I'm still at a loss. Could use some suggestions.

Rig: '00, AW4, NP231, C8.25, 150k, 235/70/16, bone stock, DD

Intent: Replace the aging, sagging suspension and some steering components with quality parts which will last, provide a great ride, and add a small, visual lift. I prefer doing this once, so I'm willing to pay for the right parts but I do not want to go beyond 2" to have it start needing SYE, control arms, relocations, potential vibrations or death wobble, or anything else that can snowball from lifts on a 22yo car.

Where I am: I was just about to go with what I felt was a great setup only to find out the Rancho leaf springs are discontinued. I feel I'm back at the start now.

Current parts/build:
- OME 930 coils (from DPG, net about 1.75" above factory)
- Stock rubber isolators (mitigate potential noise from poly, don't want more height)
- JKS adjustable track bar and sway bar disconnects (ensure great placement of axle and seems concensus is stock links are too short)
- ZJ lower control arms (might as well add strength while there)
- New stock bushings for nearly everything up front (tighten up the front end)
- Leaf springs:
- like the thought of OME (cs033rb) but cancelled the idea with it netting at least 2.5" and likely bringing on driveline vibration, also requiring front spacers to be level
- Upcountry (likely Dormant 292-301) seems ok but just doesn't appear any different than stock, plus would force to change coils to Moog cc782
- Rancho 1.5" (RS44148) seemed ideal but are discontinued
- not interested in lift shackles since they reduce the life of the springs
- All new bolts and stock bushings
- New, stock shackles
- New rear drive shaft u-joints (mitigate any potential vibrations even at this height)
- Extended brake lines (might as well)
- Bilstein 5100 for 2-3" lift (reviewed well and found a great deal)
- OME steering stabilizer (seems to be one of the best)
- Front bumpstops TBD, rear bumpstops from DPG
- Brown Dog rubber motor mounts; stock trans mount (both seem the best, adjust Brown Dogs appropriately)

So, what options have I not found yet for leaf springs that could net 1-2" which are durable and won't require a list of other parts or cause issues elsewhere on the car?
0fb02554283a5c293e8515dc40015fc3.jpg

Pull a leaf out of the OME springs.

OME rear leaves with shackle relocation brackets will get you any lift you want!

Then add a leaf to the upcountry.

It is only as difficult as you want to make it.

What are the ZZJ lower control arms going to cost you? I might compare $ to upgrade to say CORE or watch for sales or clearance.
Rear spring, yeah I know. 2" is a bit hard to find. I'll have to look if Superlift, RC or others have a 2" spring. Also, I'd contact General Springs. See if they will arch their stock ones a bit more.
If you do go above 2" and get vibes, I'd look into a HnT. I did that on my 4.5 lift. It might take a custom drive shaft or one shorter from possibly a manual trans. I don't have the lengths in front of me.

What are the ZZJ lower control arms going to cost you? I might compare $ to upgrade to say CORE or watch for sales or clearance.

Rear spring, yeah I know. 2" is a bit hard to find. I'll have to look if Superlift, RC or others have a 2" spring. Also, I'd contact General Springs. See if they will arch their stock ones a bit more.

If you do go above 2" and get vibes, I'd look into a HnT. I did that on my 4.5 lift. It might take a custom drive shaft or one shorter from possibly a manual trans. I don't have the lengths in front of me.
Calling General is a good idea. I will do that to see if they have options or ideas.

I likely need to read more on this but how would OME (2.5") plus shackle relocation (I believe 1" or more) net less than 2.5"?

The right shackle relocation does not change anything with the shackle except allow you to move the upper pivot forward reducing lift at the same time giving a better ride.

Here's a pic of the SFR brackets I installed on my 2000.
P1080971.JPG
[/IMG]

The right shackle relocation does not change anything with the shackle except allow you to move the upper pivot forward reducing lift at the same time giving a better ride.

This depends on what kit is used. Good to know Stinky's is Zero. I have Ironman's. His is Zero and 1/2.

How much of a pain were they to install?

I was surprised by how well they fit and how easy they were to install, I should have done it years ago!

I was surprised by how well they fit and how easy they were to install, I should have done it years ago!

I did not have them installed on my 2" lift, as the rear shackles had a good angle. I saved them for a 'future' build. My end game of the 'Future' build is to have 4 link rear suspension. Do you see installing the adjustable shackle boxes strengthening the rear any?

The factory "shackle boxes" do need to be cut off.

Do you see installing the adjustable shackle boxes strengthening the rear any?

They definitely provide stronger shackle mounting points.

Doesn't AAL significantly change the ride, making it rough?

Only if you use a short leaf. A Full length AAL spanning from spring eye to spring eye adds lift, and helps prevent the inevitable sagging of stock leaf springs.

I have used RE1410, Chevy S-10, and stock XJ leaf springs to restore saggy stock spring packs, and to build custom leaf packs with 2-4.5" of lift.

Back