• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home brew SYE

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever done this? I was thinking Hack n Tap style. I don't have enough money for an sye + driveshaft, but I do have acces to a shop with a ton of tools. The problem is that I am not very familier with my t-case, so I'm not exactly sure what needs to be made. Anything to steer me in the right direction would help. Also is there a OEM driveshaft I can use, I have a 9" rear end. I'm at 7"- 8" of lift with a 4*shim, extended shackles and a t-case drop, with no vibes at all :eek: , its almost scarry. I just want to save wear and tear on the t-case.
TIA

Theres not a machine shop around that could spline a flange or yoke for the price you can buy one!The RE flange is only $80.

Lawn 'Cher did one. Basically, take either a standard slip yoke or a YJ slip yoke, drill a hole through the axial center of it, and install as per the RE hack-n-tap. In fact, I just saw that he described it here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12517

But you still need a new drive shaft, and that's where the money goes.

get yourself a yoke(w/seal) that will fit on the output (spline count, diam.) take off the tail cone. make a pattern of the 3 mounting bolts. get some 5" Dia. aluminum and get on the lathe...should take an hour or so to make the seal piece like RE's unit. make it the right thickness for hacking and tapping of your stock output so that the seal is in the right position. bolt it up and have your rear driveshaft lengthened and a slip yoke installed on it at the same time.

I had to weld a disc in the yoke that i purchased so that i could bolt it to the tapped output shaft.

Use some RTV on the mounting flange of the TC where you bolt up the machined piece.

With a little thought and some time, i had a hack'n tap for about 50 bones + the cost of the driveshaft modifications.

I ended up changing to a HD AA unit about 6 months ago.

The one i made gave me 4 years of great service.

Ok, yesterday I towed my jeep to the carwash so I could wash out the engine comopartment before I drop my stroker in. While I was being towed, I could hear a slight thump coming from the upper u-joint. It is very slight and I cant feel it but it is definatley there. So now I really want to get an SYE on. Does anyone know of a writeup on making your own? I have heard of people using the stock xj front d-shaft on there SYE, I don't think it would be strong enough but what about using the shaft from a full size bronco?

CW. said:
Ok, yesterday I towed my jeep to the carwash so I could wash out the engine comopartment before I drop my stroker in. While I was being towed, I could hear a slight thump coming from the upper u-joint. It is very slight and I cant feel it but it is definatley there. So now I really want to get an SYE on. Does anyone know of a writeup on making your own? I have heard of people using the stock xj front d-shaft on there SYE, I don't think it would be strong enough but what about using the shaft from a full size bronco?

If you have a full shop, make your own driveshaft. The tubing is just .120 wall HREW or DOM in almost all the HD driveshafts out there. It's pretty easy, cut the ends off, retube & balance or take it somewhere for a balance about $50.

Back