• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home brew LA kit

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
im planning on building my own long arm kit in the near future. i was wondering if someone who has the clayton kit could shoot me some measurements. i need the measurement from the the johnny joints in width in all that are used, length of the arms, and length from the crossmember bolt holes the the edge of the lca mount (three piece crossmember), and what size rectangle tubing was used for the crossmember. also length of the arms from mounting hole on axle to edge of threaded insert

Last edited:
you dont need to "copy" an existing arm design

but the joints are 2.63" wide

the only reason i dont buy a clayton setup is because i cant afford it, and i have the capability to build one. i dont know how to build a 3 link kit anyway. but im open to suggestions and ideas

im thinking im just gonna stick to building my own long arm setup, im just gonna order the johnny joints and inserts and etc from clayton

just ran the prices of building a "copy" of the clayton kit, and will not be enough cheaper will just save and buy one

Now you're getting smart. It is almost always cheaper to buy stuff that is already designed and built in quantity, than to make it yourself. The small difference in actual cost is nowhere near worth the time it takes.

Now, if you have the fab skills, and are willing to make something, like has been suggested already there are better designs that you can build.

yeah im willing to make something but i think they are right, why spend all that time making something of the exact same design, for nearly the same price to buy it, when you can A) buy it or B) build something better

Well if everyone said it's a waste of time then we as a whole would be nowhere. I say if you have the passion, time and money then build it yourself. You will learn so much more about designing and what works and what doesn't... If you really think about it a long arm kit is pretty simple. If I had all the tools I would build my own LA's I think it would be more fun plus fabrication is all about being creative and using your brain.

just ran the prices of building a "copy" of the clayton kit, and will not be enough cheaper will just save and buy one

I disagree,Ive built 2 LA set-ups along with a million other projects for about 50% of what any store bought product would be!

yeah but i was pricing buying the johnny joints and bushings and ends from clayton,

Back