• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anyone done a build thread for an Izuzu D44 swap

Good question! I know there have been a few that have done the swap. I'm interested myself as there are plenty in the JY's for cheap around here.

It would be nice if someone had/made/modded shafts for the I-D-44 that were drilled for 5 on 4.5.

Use the search function,I remember at least 1 good thread here and a couple others "out there".

To be perfectly honest, there's really not much involved. I will try to highlight the key areas;

1. You will need to swap the pinion flange for a standard pinion yoke
  2. Old spring perches must be cut off and new ones welded on - accounting for pinion angle of course. New spring plates and u-bolts are required.
  3. New shock mounts must be welded on
  4. For brakes, I cut the distribution block off my D35 and welded it onto the 44. Hardlines were then run to the end of the axle tubes and affixed. I had SS soft lines made that go from the hard line to the calipers.
  5. For the e-brake, I cut off the factory attachment (dont remember what it was) on the e-brake handle side and used wire rope thimbles and cable clamps to attach to the factory e-brake handle hardware underneath.

Its really pretty simple. Jump right in, I'm sure you will figure it out.

I just did a pathfinder rear end in my comanche and its pretty straight foward like he said.they come with a 9.75 ring gear and 4.6 gears also and are the same width as the izuzu and stronger with disk brakes.

Back