• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looks like I waited a bit too long for my stiffeners....

rockclimber

Associate
NAXJA Member
found this today.
P1080261.jpg

P1080262.jpg

gonna weld it, plate it, and then put the stiffeners on... hopefully I can get it all done today.

ouch. yea, i gotta plate that area too before mine cracks. sides are plated but i havent gotten to the bottom yet.

crisis averted...for now.

P1080264.jpg

started prepping for the stiffeners. I won't have time to do them today, but I can get all the undercoating off now, and I think I have wednesday off so I'll get them done then.

before you plate over that crack drill a hole in the end of the smaller one where it comes away from the bolt hole (left side of the pic) this will help keep it from spreading further without you being able to see it. The rule of thumb for welding up cracks is to drill a small (1/8" or so) hole in the very end of each end of the crack then weld it up and grind it smooth.

before you plate over that crack drill a hole in the end of the smaller one where it comes away from the bolt hole (left side of the pic) this will help keep it from spreading further without you being able to see it. The rule of thumb for welding up cracks is to drill a small (1/8" or so) hole in the very end of each end of the crack then weld it up and grind it smooth.

I did that. I've seen you post about it before. I just didn't snap any pics.

I had a bunch of cracks in mine when my stiffeners went on but they weren't enough. I think if took the cage out of my junk it would collapse in on itself.
haha definitely, you got some good cracks in that thing.

i got my stiffeners on pretty soon into my "wheeling career", however i do have 2 nice sized cracks in the floor under the rear seat. thankfully that's it so far though.

i've been putting it off, but between you and Julio, i think i've seen enough to convince me to get on it.

Overhead welding isn't too bad but if i were to do it all again, I would wear full leathers...lol

I hate the bits that fall and burn you in places you least expect.

I did this exact fix last week, except I caught the crack in mine a little earlier.

Those cracks under the rear seat are getting really bad, I need to brace that up soon.

I did this exact fix last week, except I caught the crack in mine a little earlier.

Those cracks under the rear seat are getting really bad, I need to brace that up soon.
still trying to figure out how to tackle that one. i can fix the cracks, but seems like it's trying to cure cancer with advil. i figured a cage would help.

Back