• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Build up

JTBOSCO

NAXJA Member #426
I now have the money I need to put into my jeep. I have a set of Ford 1 ton axles (D60 and D44) that I want to swap on to my jeep. I plan to run 35's or 36's. I have about 6.5" of lift. I want to regear and lock both axles.
What lockers do you guys like/suggest?
What size gears do you think I should go?
This will not be a DD, just a toy for weekends and wheeling.
I would like to do the gears and lockers my self if someone can help me. I will by a press and any tools needed to do it right.
I have plenty of space to work at my house.
I have a kegerator with ice cold beer and plenty of food.
I would like to have a meet and greet/BBQ at my place and you all could check out what I have and give me ideas on how to move forward. then I buy everything and swap it all out.

Thanks,

JT

4.88s or 5.13s and detroits sound good to me...but what do I know...

D44 is 3/4 ton. To get more strength from the 60, put 35 spline shafts in it and alloys and some nice u-joints in the 44. Go at least 36s with that 60 but I wouldn't go much bigger with the 44. If its not on the street, go as low as you can with the gears and get drive flanges for the 44, they are stronger than lockouts.

i like the 4.88's and detroits i have in mine....i think 5.13's would be a little too low for 35 or 36's. the 4.88's i have seem to be just right and i'm running 35's

I now have the money I need to put into my jeep. I have a set of Ford 1 ton axles (D60 and D44) that I want to swap on to my jeep. I plan to run 35's or 36's. I have about 6.5" of lift. I want to regear and lock both axles.
What lockers do you guys like/suggest?
What size gears do you think I should go?
This will not be a DD, just a toy for weekends and wheeling.
I would like to do the gears and lockers my self if someone can help me. I will by a press and any tools needed to do it right.
I have plenty of space to work at my house.
I have a kegerator with ice cold beer and plenty of food.
I would like to have a meet and greet/BBQ at my place and you all could check out what I have and give me ideas on how to move forward. then I buy everything and swap it all out.

Thanks,

JT

JT! Good to see you're still alive, buddy. I've done locker installs, but never a full axle / gear swap, so I'm not much on the skilled labor. But call a date and I'll be happy to come out and "supervise" the work. :)

I can help some on the install... Figure out the date and let me know a head of time so I can ask for it off at work.

Back