• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where/What is the best replacement Power Steering Pump?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like I need to replace my power steering pump and I'd like to get at least something equivalent to OE if not better... but I don't want to break the bank.

What brands/places would you recommend or not recommend. I've seen some bad reports on Napa PS Pumps, but that's about it... that have been posted on this board. I'd rather be able to pick one up local since I need it by this Saturday (2/9/08) to do the work ... Locally I have Napa, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or Oreilly's...

what do you guys think?

IIRC- all four of the listed stores use the same A1-Cardone remanufatured pump. To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find many others as Cardone remans most "house brand" units for the automotive aftermarket retail.

As with most "horror stories" about so-and-so's parts, you have to also factor in the "it didn't fix my problem, but I couldn't have diagnosed it wrong, so the part must have been bad" excuses and the "I didn't have anything to instal the pulley, so I beat it on with my hammer" mechanics as well.

I must admit that I work in the auto. aftermarket and am slightly impartial to one of the other three you listed, but if it were mine and I was needing the pump, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from any one of your choices with confidence.

best of luck--Shorty

My power steering pump (rebuilt from AutoZone) got loud after a year and a half.

Some Lucas power steering treatment made it quieter.

However it is still unacceptable to me. Most everything from AutoZone is.

Thanks guys... I was thinking that Cardone was the co. that does most of the reman rebuilding. Funny how each parts store has a different swing on marketing. The beauty for me w/ A-zone is the cash rewards type of program they have and the fact that they're less than a block f/my house where the others are around 2 miles away... I know not far, but MUCH closer when you have your vehicle torn apart can be much better.

Yeah, using proper tools is a major plus for the job at hand. No hammering on bearings... lol. :)

I tried some Lucas treatment about 2-3 months back and it seemed to help, but now the PSP is all but gone. Constant squealing and everytime the XJ sits for very long (several hours) when starting up the PS is gone... for anywhere f/ 10 seconds to about a minute. I know it needs to be replaced so that's what I'm doing.

BTW, I've got 217K miles on my '96 and don't think the PSP has ever been replaced. I'm not the original owner... but it looks OE.

I bought one from Autozone about a year ago and it started leaking a few months later. The pump and reservoir came in two pieces and the O ring seal where the res mates to the pump never seemed to seal properly. I did check to see if it was damaged or rolled when I assembled the res to the pump but couldnt see anything.
I bought another one from NAPA. Same pump as Autozone only the pump and reservior were already assembled and it came with the pulley installation bolt and a new O ring for the supply line. Hasn't leaked yet. Better deal in my mind.
Autozone changed their rewards policy. If you don't do your 5 purchases within 6 months you loose your rewards.

Thanks for the info Jeff1... that rewards policy change is bullcr@p if you ask me. I don't typically spend that much money on things at Azone in 5-6 months time. I'm sure this was somewhat of a bait and switch type plan...

I ended up getting the Pump, new Hi and Lo pressure lines and a PSP Pulley tool f/ Advance Auto last night. This PSP had the Reservoir already attached and has the new o ring and such. I'll follow-up on the replacement. Will have to hold out until this weekend. Hopefully the Pump will keep 'working' until then.

Have you checked with Mopar Parts for their remans? Had Carmax stick a reman pump on my in '04 and that started going bad on the way home from getting the damn thing installed! I insisted on either having the factory installed one put back on or a new Mopar pump installed and all they could get (and all DCX stocked at the time) was a Mopar Reman. Sofar it's been plenty reliable atleast!

I didn't check on the Mopar parts, but ended up getting one f/ Advance Auto, a Cardone w/ reservoir already installed. I also installed new Hi and Lo pressure hoses as those were original I believe.

On the old PSP the bearing on the front was bad after I removed the pulley and it appeared had been leaking and was nasty dirty/gummy.

After installing the reman Cardon one and bleeding and adding fluid, so far so good. Just drove it around for about 20 minutes, stop and go traffic and it was quiet as a mouse... at least compared to the screaming pump I took off. I'll report back after a few weeks to see how she's doing. Hopefully ths one will last a LONG time.

overly tight belts are the usual cause of the bearing in front failing-- Find/borrow a tension gauge to make sure it's right and you shouldn't have any problems:lecture::wave:

Back