• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont stay started

scooterfrog

NAXJA Forum User
ok 99 sport 4.0 90 k
some times the jeep will not STAY running after a start unless my foot is on the throttle. revs just drop and it dies.

if I stay on the gas it runs fine. if I rev and then get into gear (auto) it will drive just fine.

it hasn't left me stranded YET.

this is an intermittant problem

it deonet seem to be a nss or cps problem becuast it not only cranks (nss) but runs

I bought it with 65k. it has never been in the shop except for new shocks, fluids and an alignment since I bought it.

x2 I had the same problem on my 99. I finally changed it with 94K on it and the Jeep hasn't dies since.

ok
the first search showd only cps stuff. I knew that wasn't it.
then I posted

since then I searched again and my smsptoms definlay point towards the IAC.
next question. its cold and I cant get the jeep in the garage. should I just buy a new one. or should I realy bother to clean mine up.

I am leaning towards just buying one and then celaning the old one at my leisure as a spare of for sale on ebay. si this a $200 part liekhte idle con trol valve (ICV) on my bmw or like 70 bucks.

scooterfrog said:
ok
the first search showd only cps stuff. I knew that wasn't it.
then I posted

since then I searched again and my smsptoms definlay point towards the IAC.
next question. its cold and I cant get the jeep in the garage. should I just buy a new one. or should I realy bother to clean mine up.

I am leaning towards just buying one and then celaning the old one at my leisure as a spare of for sale on ebay. si this a $200 part liekhte idle con trol valve (ICV) on my bmw or like 70 bucks.
No need to get it into the garage. Just disconnect the one plug and remove the 2 T-20 (or are they T-25?) screws and pull that sucker out. Take it in the house or heated garage and clean it very well with sensor safe throttle body spray cleaner and an old soft toothbrush. When you go back out to put it in, spray the hole it goes into and wipe it out quick with an old towel. Pop the sensor back into the hole, screw it down, and plug it in.

If that don't do it, off to the parts store (not the stealership) and plunk down about $80 for a new one :wierd:

XgeekstarX said:
he said it runs fine off idle, so it's not the tps. get yourself a new idle air controller and you should be alright.
is it not possible that the TPS has a dead spot at the idle setting?

Kuasimodem said:
No need to get it into the garage. Just disconnect the one plug and remove the 2 T-20 (or are they T-25?) screws and pull that sucker out. Take it in the house or heated garage and clean it very well with sensor safe throttle body spray cleaner and an old soft toothbrush. When you go back out to put it in, spray the hole it goes into and wipe it out quick with an old towel. Pop the sensor back into the hole, screw it down, and plug it in.

If that don't do it, off to the parts store (not the stealership) and plunk down about $80 for a new one :wierd:

if its that easy I just clean the old one. even with a new one I have to remove and reinstall. I would still clean the mating surfaces. so why spend 80 bucks. I suppose that if its really a dirt, carbon build up then the clean old one will last as long enough. its not really a wear part.

Back