• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starts & Dies Please Help!

Noodle

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 Cherokee quit running and I replaced the fuel pump, now it will start and run for a few seconds and then die? Please Help!

Check the fuel pump ballast resistor. When you start, this resistor is bypassed for extra fuel flow, and then put back into the circuit when you're running, so a "start-no-run" condition is symptomatic of a bad one. On an 89 I think it should be on the driver's side inner fender somewhere. It's a rectangular white ceramic resistor. Bypass it (just tape the two wires together for the test) and see if that solves the problem. Your Jeep will run fine without it, but the pump will run more quietly with it.

Do you have fuel pressure in the valve after it dies? If yes it is definitely the fuel pump ballast resistor. If no Test the Idle Air Control Sensor by the TB. My .02$ on similar issues with 89.

The fuel pump relay is also a likely cause. It is bypassed when the ignition switch is in the start position and is active in the run position.

Back