• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading, build sugestions?

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
Well, im new to the NAXJA forums, and simi new to the world of XJ's. I have a 93 base, 4.0, Auto, Chry. 8.25 rear, 3.55 gears, new factory trak-lock. As of now, ive been running about a year on a RE 3.5" superide lift with AAL, 32x11.5 on 15x8 black steel wheels. Lots of fender trimming. The tires stuff nice, dont hit the fenders, but do run a very little bit at full turn on the sway bars.
So...ive decided, after a year, that i really love it! but its time to move up in the world...I'm looking for sugestions as to how to build. Ive spent the last 2 days reading old threads...including the entire 35's with 3.55 gears thread...My eyes still hurt!! I live in Nor-cal, and plan to build to run the rubicon, fordyce, hell hole, and the like, as there all in my back yard.
I want to optimize flex over super high lifts. im pretty happy as of now with my 32's, but will probably in the future go to 33's. so i want to build around that. I'm working on a budget around $2000 for now. So im looking for sugestions as to where to start. options im looking into
Going all out, RE 5.5 extreme duty or long arm,
OR full tractions long arm,
or more mild, RE 4.5 with the drop brackets.
will the drop brackets make a big improvement at 4.5 inches? i already dont like my control arm angles at 3.5"
or, piece together. No matter what, gettting rid of the AAL (Yuck!!)
i thinking around 4.5 inches, as i believe i can get around buying a SYE for now,(although, one will be in the future) to increase the budget for gears and the like? I dont have any vib. problems yet, at 3.5 inches.
So, where to start? open to ideas!

Spacers front
RE 3.5" leafs & 1.5" shakles back
33x10.5 BFG MT
4.56 f&r :laugh3:
armor all around (skid plates, rock rails, bumpers)
JKS Quick Disconnects

What about your trackbar and the control arms ?

Do the DBs help with control arm angles at 4.5"? Hell yeah! Gotta go for the 4.56s though, but I'd like to know what BrettM meant with the welding comment - I haven't had to yet with the lift and DBs.

Thanks for the comments. No, i cant weld, but am in the process of learning. However, my dad is a competent welder of 30+ years. I do trust my life with his welding. however, the nonly welding i plan to do on my xj is maybe homemade rocker guards, and bumpers, and the like, to save some cash.
However, unfortunatly, some unforscene circumstances came up, and my budget how been Deminished to around $900 for the time being....so....what to start with. im thinking as my supension is so far adiquate, my best first move may be geares and a front detroit truetrack. Opinions on the true track? i know its not real locker, but ive heard good things about it, and the budget dosent alow for selectable or hub conversion. So i dont know that i can run a regular auto locker, wiht no hubs to disenegage the axle? (i do have a 231, so its not driven, but still always turning on the stret). im gonna go 4.56's, so a true track a good idea? i need to do something anyways since the carrier is wrong for the lower gears. also, would i be better to start with gears and a traction device, or work more on the suspension? (and for now, i plan on keeping the rear trak-loc. i know, not the best, but its there, and new)
Jonathan

Back