• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing to synthetic oil @ 80K on '97?

robbcpht

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of changing to synthetic or semi-synthetic on this weekends oil change. Has always had valvoline since i got it @24k. I have heard that switching at high mileage causes seal problems. Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks
Robb

I've been running my 98XJ 4.0 since new, at about 5,000mi I switched to Mobil-1 10w30, I'm over 270,000mi now. We picked up two used 97TJ's, both with ~100K ballpark milage. Within a day of getting both home they got switched to Mobil-1 10W30 and Mobil-1 filters. That was over a year ago on both, no leaks. One of them, my sons, rolled and he said the engine continued to run upside down for about 3 to 5 seconds before it stalled. We rebuilt the TJ's bent body parts, installed a 5" lift and 1" body lift in april and may and he's been running it with no problems and the oil pressue is still right where it's supposed to be.
Mine was losing a quart between changes and I could never find a leak till I replaced my water pump and had the whole front of the engine open to view, found that about 4 or 6 of the bolts holding the front timing chain cover on behind the harmoic balancer had backed out and the balancer was keeping them from falling out and thats where the oil was getting out from, tightend and retorqued em down and now no more oil loss.

i changed to synthetic at 60k on my 97 and have been running it for 40k now with no real problems if u use a thin synthetic i get a little slap so i just dont use thin synthetics

Around here, 80k is barely broken in.

When I bought my XJ with around 84,xxxmi I switched it to Mobil 1 and a NAPA Gold filter. No problems. I did research and found I should change the filter after the first 3,xxxmi or so. From what I understand, the syn. cuts alot of the sludge loose, and can get the filter pretty dirty. I remember reading of one guy who actually lost oil pressure shortly after switching to syn. Cause: plugged filter. I plan to go about 8,xxxmi. an oil change and a filter about every 4,xxxmi. I sayt go for it.

HTH

Back