• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Angled spring perch adapters for coils on dana 30

lordoeuf

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make angled spring perch adapters for the front coils of a dana 30 on an XJ? I see them for JK and JL rear, but nothing for XJ front. I'm trying to correct some coil spring bowing while not adjusting the caster. Thanks.

I've never seen any but they would be easy to make. How much caster are you running? Are your control arms adjustable, are they set to the correct length?

Know anyone willing to make them?

Caster at 3 degrees. Front pinion angle at 8 deg and front shaft angle at 9 deg. I recall reading that only 1 deg. off is ideal.

I went ahead and adjusted the upper control arms to get the caster set at 7 degrees, but now I measure the pinion angle is at 3 deg and front shaft at 10 deg. Thus they are off by 7 deg.

Thus I fixed the bowing springs, but the pinion angle isn't so ideal. Is it OK for them to be off by 7 degrees?

You could accomplish the same goal with off-set ball joints.

Are you able to explain that a little more and, perhaps, show some photos? I'm a little rusty and haven't done any work on my Jeep or any wheeling in over a decade. However, I do recall buying some adjustable ball joints from Summit Racing that went into the steering knuckle to correct for, I think, the camber. Is there another offset ball joint that will correct for, both, the camber (2 deg) and caster at 4 degrees?

They are used for either or both, I think the max I've seen was 2.5* but search is your friend.

In checking my previous orders, it seems I already have 1.5 deg. ball joints installed on the upper knuckles, SPE 23530, though I used standard joints on the lower, Moog K3161T. So it doesn't seem feasible that I can get another 4 deg. of caster with this method. It would be nice to have some bolt-on angled spring perch adapters for the XJ.

The lower perch is not flat so what you want would not be that easy to calculate what * you would need to build. You can kind of see it in this pic.
FH000024_zps7cmnj9sv.jpg

How much lift do you have and what suspension components are you using?

Thanks for your reply. I will copy/paste my vehicle's modification list which pertains to the suspension.

MODIFICATION LIST: 1999 XJ, 5-Speed, 5.5" lift

SUSPENSION:
1. Rubicon Express 3.5" rear leaf spring pack
2. Teraflex 1.5" leaf spring shackles
3. Custom 0.5" leaf spring blocks (to offset passanger side tyre carrier weight)
4. Rubicon Express 4.5" front coil springs
5. JKS adjustable coil over spacers (ACOS) set at ~2"
6. JKS adjustable coil spring bump stops
7. JKS swaybar disconnects
8. Swaybar drop brackets
9. Rubicon Express HD trackbar bracket
10. Rubicon Express HD trackbar RE1660
11. Crown HDSTRGCR1 tie rod and drag link ends (except PS). Using dealer's adjustment sleeve for tie rod and drag link
12. Tomken lower control arms (long arms)
13. Tomken crossmember to mount long arms
14. Custom "frame rail" reinforcement plates for crossmember (3/32 in., steal)
15. Tomken upper control arm drop brackets
16. Rubicon Express upper control arms RE3780
17. Rubicon Express monotube shocks, front and rear
18. Monroe SC2928 steering stablizer
19. C-ROK steering box reinforcement plate
20. Mountain Offroad rear shock perches
21. Rusty's Offroad 1.25" drop pitman arm
22. PSC Xtreme duty steering box - SG-621M. Replaced with steering box from a '98 Durango
23. AGR high PSI power steering pump
24. Specialty Products Company 23530 1.50° Upper Ball Joint to correct camber
25. Standard OE lower ball joints, Moog K3161T

Back