• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1984-1985 throttle valve cable replacement

obxxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 1984 Jeep Cherokee XJ Pioneer with the 2.8L engine that has been in the family forever.. It an automatic and just started shifting funny and when I looked under the hood the throttle valve cable had broken near the carburetor. As it turns out since the V6 version XJ was only manufactured in 1984-85 and I can't find a replacement throttle valve cable. Does anyone know of a firm that could custom make a throttle valve cable for me or knows of a wrecking yard or anyone with access to a used 1084-85 throttle valve cable? The Jeep has a midlife Jasper rebuilt engine and a Jasper rebuilt transmission and it is a shame to lose this rig due to the lack of a cable assembly.
Many thanks!
Sincerely,
David

which transmission does it have? Mostly from memory but the four cylinder had 904 transmissions? And had an external mount throttle valve rod, not a cable?

I've never heard of anyone using the phrase throttle valve, atr you talking about the detent cable to the transmission or the regular cable from the gas pedal to the carb? They make universal cables for throttles for hot rods and such. If its the detent and the case is good, then you could prob rig something up using a length of universal cable and some screw on or solder on ends.

I've never heard of anyone using the phrase throttle valve, atr you talking about the detent cable to the transmission or the regular cable from the gas pedal to the carb? They make universal cables for throttles for hot rods and such. If its the detent and the case is good, then you could prob rig something up using a length of universal cable and some screw on or solder on ends.

"Throttle Valve pressure control" is how it's described in the AW4 service manual, the AW4 does not have a "detent switch". It controls the line pressure based on the throttle position.

Btw, the same holds true for the 904 transmission.

You can buy braided steel cable and just connect some quick screw on connections.
Ive used them for years on my motorcycle before they broke. and the throttle is way less pressure than a clutch.

Example of the motorcycle kit.
All you would have to do is get some ends.
get some steel cable (use a micrometer to figure out the diameter.

and just crlmp it all down.

Not an OEM fix. but will 100% work.

You can buy replacement cable ends if the cable itself is reusable.

No. It looks like after 36 years of adjustments including an engine and transmission replacement the original cable finally failed from being tightened/adjusted too much. that's why a donor cable or recommendation for an aftermarket product would be appreciated.

Since the s10 also used the 2.8l v6, maybe one from that vehicle could be adapted?

Thanks anyhow everyone.
The only transmission shop in town is only interested in plug-and-play repairs and this is way beyond my level of competence. If only I could find a donor tv cable from a 1984-1985 XJ with the Rochester-carbed V6 and A-904 torqueflite tranny I'd be back in business as the engine and tranny are Jasper-rebuilds with a lot of life still in them.

Well, maybe it's time to look at other options than that transmission shop. Got any "speed shops", or hot-rod clubs in the area? They probably have to deal with replacing hard-to-find/unobtainable parts more often, perhaps they can be of help.

The post that has a Lokar link had what I thought was a direct replacement.

Back