• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0700 & P0705 with shift lever issue

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, so after searching around on here I haven't quite been able to find somebody who posted a similar issue. I just purchased a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited. The weird issue that I am having is; the check engine light is not on, but when I took it down for inspection to get the new license plate, they told me that it was throwing two codes, P0700 & P0705. Also, the shift lever is off almost one entire selection. In order to shift into drive, I need to drop down into 3rd. The little window is not the problem, I actually have to step on the brake to go past the "D" stop and about halfway to the "3" it will shift into drive. Everything I can read about these codes says that it is the Neutral Saftey Switch, I am just skeptical because the shift lever is kinda messed up. Is there a way to adjust the lever so that it is correct on all the stops? Also, I know the Engine light works since it lights up briefly when I first start it, why isn't it on? I took it to autozone and they confirmed the codes. Any help would be amazing! Hopefully someone can post some photos also?

I would remove the trim around the shifter and inspect the two cables. One goes to the trans and the other is the shift interlock that forces holding the brake to get out of park. With it needing the brake to get past D seems odd, and perhaps more than just adjusting the shifter cable.

Stolen from another thread:

GEARSHIFT CABLE
Check adjustment by starting the engine in Park
and Neutral. Adjustment is OK if the engine starts
only in these positions. Adjustment is incorrect if the
engine starts in one but not both positions. If the
engine starts in any position other than Park or Neutral,
or if the engine will not start at all, the park/
neutral position switch may be faulty.
Gearshift Adjustment Procedure
(1) Shift transmission into Park.
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Release cable adjuster clamp (at transmission
end of cable) to unlock cable.
(4) Unsnap cable from cable mounting bracket on
transmission (Fig. 266).
(5) Slide cable eyelet off transmission shift lever.
(6) Verify transmission shift lever is in Park
detent by moving lever fully rearward. Last rearward
detent is Park position.
(7) Verify positive engagement of transmission
park lock by attempting to rotate propeller shaft.
Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
(8) Slide cable eyelt onto transmission shift lever.
(9) Snap shift cable adjuster into mounting
bracket on transmission.
(10) Lock shift cable by pressing cable adjuster
clamp down until it snaps into place.
(11) Lower vehicle and check engine starting.
Engine should start only in Park and Neutral.

You may also need to clean or replace the NSS.

Well, I inspected the cables at both ends. Nothing seems to be array. I just replaced the neutral safety switch and cleared the codes but they immediately came back. I guess I will have to do some more investigating on how to potentially adjust this shifter linkage cable

In case somebody else looks at this someday; I ended up removing the center console from the Jeep, but there was no adjustments to be made at the shifter. I crawled underneath the Jeep it was able to pop the center out of the shifter Link cable just a little bit back from the transmission with the transmission in park & the shifter in the park position the cable adjuster snapped back into place I reinstalled the U pin into the cable and all of my problems were solved.

Back