• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evaporator core recommendations

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
First off, thanks to xjguy98 for his fantastic write-up on replacing the heater/evaporator cores in our XJs:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=963504

The first few times I read through it, I got nauseated by memories of tearing apart my old Mercedes 300E's interior... But, the more I pressed on and really looked at what he documented, the more confident I've become, as I've already gone about 60% of the way in other projects. The last 40% shouldn't be too terrible, however, it won't be fun either.

Needless to say, given the magnitude of this project, I'd really like to do it once, and do it right.

Our XJs are notorious for the evaporator cores going bad. I'd REALLY like to avoid this being a repeat event, so I could use some guidance...

Who, in your opinions, makes the best evaporator and heater cores for our vehicles? I'd normally go OE, however, the OE evaporator core is what led to this predicament in the first place. I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars if it means I have a significantly lower chance of needing to take the entire damned interior apart again.

Thanks in advance!

I asked this question a couple of times and never got an answer, hope you have better luck. I'd do the heater core at the same time too....

My evap core on my 01 XJ only lasted 5 years... was replaced by Dealer under my warranty (just in time)...here we are 5 years later and I think I might need a new one...So, having seen other cars with great original A/C 10 years old, I am with you...will be looking for something that might last... will let you know if I find one that is recommended.

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'll need to dig deeper into this one (find manufacturer names and start calling them to get info on the differences between their products and the OE part).

Your efforts would be appreciated. I'd be happy to throw you a bit on paypal for your time.

I'm also curious about other things like seals, o rings, and those foam things tucked in there. I want to do this one, and not every few years.

Thanks again.

I replaced all mine with 4 seasons products and I have been very satisfied the past few years.

When you replace it chances are the Styrofoam under the core will be rotted to nothing dont bother trying to reuse it all it will be good for is breaking apart and getting stuck in blend doors. Get some foam adhesive foam and line the core with it to keep it snug and it should be fine. Everything in that writeup I followed and have not had one issue.

Yea your not gonna want to have to do this ever again it took me 9 hours to figure it out alone the first time lol

Last edited:
Back