• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj relay issue

Rcfan37

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys

Anyone know if there are any relays behind the dash panel under the steering column
On the 97 xj s ??

Reason I ask is I just finished installing the big 7 battery cable kit from Jeep cables.com in my 97 and While the install went fine and the Jeep runs perfect
And all accessories are working fine I noticed now when I drive down the road I can hear what sounds like a relay of some kind clicking on and off
Sounds like it’s under the big panel below the column but haven’t investigated it yet I do know that it did not do that with the old cables that were on it and as far as I can tell it doesn’t seem to effect the gauges or lights as far as I know
Anything I might check in there ?? Bad relay maybe ?? Bad connection ??
All of the battery cables are installed correctly and all connections are tight
Other than hearing the relay click there doesn’t seem to be anything else going on with it
Kinda annoying listening to it I do know that
Thanks for any info
Rcfan37

Haven't ran the ac on it for a few weeks

Whatever it is it sounds like a relay clicking on and off

I'll investigate it when I get time

Rcfan37

The turn signal relay and emergency flasher relay are about at your left knee behind the dash. One may be faulty, have wiring issues or a loose wire plug, or the turn signal lever mechanism has some wear. Next time you hear the noise, jiggle the signal lever.

According to my '98 FSM, the "headlamp delay module" is located behind the knee blocker (their words), beneath the dash / steering column.

Seems simple to access:
1. Remove knee blocker
2. Remove the screw that attaches the module to the inside of the instrument cluster.
3. Disconnect the wire harness connector and remove the module from the instrument panel.

Back