• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My XJ need front shocks. I was hoping to get a set of Bilstein 5165's with stud at the top and 15 inches collapse. Instead the only thing that meet my requirements are the 5160's. How does the two variants compeer?

The 5165 I have on hand have been removed after less than 100 miles and are listed in the for sale forum. They have eye on both ends.

AFAIK, the 5160 are sized to fit particular vehicles.

The 5165 are available in a range of sizes and valving, for customs fits.
A few have stem tops, most have eyes, top and bottom.
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/bilstein_5165.cfm

I run the 5165s front and rear, the ride is superior to the 5100s, plusher and less bottoming. Nice for long desert runs.

AFAIK, the 5160 are sized to fit particular vehicles.

The 5165 are available in a range of sizes and valving, for customs fits.
A few have stem tops, most have eyes, top and bottom.
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/bilstein_5165.cfm

I run the 5165s front and rear, the ride is superior to the 5100s, plusher and less bottoming. Nice for long desert runs.

Thanks for the information.

It does appear the 5160 and 5165 are the same shock according to users. Its been said that the only difference is the stud on top instead of an eye. I am leaning towards the 5160's. The two that I am looking at are 25-187670 that is listed for the XJ and the 25-187595 listed for the Dodge Ram, but first I need to know the valving for the Ram shocks. My preference is the latter because it would give an extra inch of drop.

My previous shocks were 5150's (BF5-A196-H1) with 10 inch travel from 15" to 25" which suited the setup of the XJ. The 5165 I have on hand need too much massaging to work well for me. Yes, they rode well. I drove them from San Marcos TX to New Braunfels TX and back and promptly removed them. The came within an inch of bottoming out.

Now, if I could get some information on the valving for the Ram shocks listed above,...I am ready to place an order.

Back