• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS Issue

BIG1RED9

NAXJA Forum User
1987 XJ 4.0 Automatic

TPS - ground test = less than 1 ohm
TPS - base voltage 4.88
TPS - max voltage I could get rotating was under 2 volts

Ordered new TPS and I am getting the same results.
Unless I missed something and this is done at WOT, then I could dial it in.

Thanks,
Don

Wow...did my brain fart.

Just re-read the instructions. I thought it said when having engine issues adj to 17% for manual transmissions and 83% for manual transmissions. Passed over it to quickly because another thread basically said the same thing.

But what it does say is that its 17% for both and if working on trans issues that is the other connector and test needs to be 83% of base voltage.

FLAT CONNECTOR, which both manual and auto trans equipped Renix have:

KEY ON, measure voltage from “A” positive to “B” ground by back-probing the connectors. Note the voltage reading–this is your REFERENCE voltage.
KEY ON, back-probe the connector at wires “B” and “C”. Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts.
Loosen both T-20 Torx screws attaching the TPS to the throttle body and rotate the TPS until you have achieved your desired output voltage.
Tighten the screws carefully while watching to see that your output voltage remains where it is supposed to be. If you can’t achieve the correct output voltage, replace the TPS and start over.

Thank you Cruiser. It seems that other users have copied a portion of your instructions and re-posted them creating my confusion as they made reference to you. I did read the info at your site yesterday but decided to wait. All is good

Back