• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to oil cool my XJ

GriffyorCono

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]Hello everyone and good morning from California :us:,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Glad to introduce myself to everyone my Name is Ashton you can call me Cono:eeks1:.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have been trying to figure out an idea I have had for a while. I want to cool and or control the oil temperature in my Jeep XJ and there is a few ways I can do this. First off I'll be using an adapter located at my oil filter to reroute the oil, so just keep that in mind because I'd like to keep the hoses out of harm’s way obviously because sudden oil loss is no fun on a brand new motor I also need to figure out what diameter hoses are going to be best for this so I don't disrupt the oil pressure.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The idea is that I can either simply route those hoses to a radiator similar to the ones used for the tranny but on the passenger side and call it a day, but this means adding temperature valves so the oil is never too cold in the winter. The whole point of the oil cooler is to keep my oil at optimal temperature to increase the reliability of this already tank motor. The idea that I’ve had is that since I am running an AX-15 Standard box instead of auto that I can use the trans cooler on my Mishmoto radiator to cool the motor oil instead. I personally believe this is a good idea because in concept it will keep the oil cooled when it needs to be but still close to optimal temps whenever it starts to cool down, because the motor warms that coolant up and the fans keep it around 190 to 210. I will be running a triple fan setup to so I will have a lot of control when it comes to what temperature I want the motor to be running at. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just to make sure everyone is clear, I think this idea is better than a separate small air cooled radiator because the coolant from the Mishmoto radiator is what is going to be cooling the oil, so there’s quite a bit more control of the oil temperatures when its cold because all I have to do is turn one of my triple fans off or even all of them and that coolant will now be warming the oil up instead of cooling it down. The only problem I see with this idea is maybe that getting to optimal temperature will take longer which I don’t want if that’s the case and I won’t be doing this setup.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I want to address a few things though. I have a feeling a few people are going to say this is redundant because the motor oil is already cooled by the coolant when it runs through the channels of the block and head. Yes this is true but not only is that process not very effective, but in my own mind I think the extra cooling will not only keep that oil temperature optimal but it will also strengthen the very weak cooling system that the XJ is notorious for by adding another method that those triple electric fans will be cooling the motor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here are the parts I will be using. I have not found which hoses I will be using yet because I need to figure out the specs on my Mishimoto rad and how long the hoses will need to be. I will need to mock all of this up and figure out how I’m going to route this once I get a better idea of what I’m going to be doing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Radiator 4th and 6th photo will help you understand my concept best: https://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-cherokee-xj-aluminum-radiator-1989-2001.html#prettyPhoto[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Filter adapter: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...965/4315557/1995/jeep/cherokee?q=+#3965&pos=1
[/FONT]

Triple fan I'll be using https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p50/Cyclone_Electric_Fan_System.html#/
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m hoping this can be a discussion and not a post that gets completely shutdown with comments like oh the cooling system is capable enough already because we all know this is not completely true XD. I do understand the other side of the coin though because if my hoses aren't all done properly I'm basically just introducing another opportunity for failure that didn't previously exist.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you to everyone who took time out of their day to read this. Hope everything is going well wherever you currently reside.
[/FONT]

The biggest problem you would need to over-come is the engines stock oiling system sucks. The cam hydraulics tend to eat a lot of it, but pushing oil around for long distances would be a major challenge.

I forgot to add, why not look at a totally separate system that's easy!

Hello RCP Phx,

I believe you're talking about something I addressed for a very brief second. "[FONT=&quot]hoses to a radiator similar to the ones used for the tranny but on the passenger side and call it a day". The problem with this type of setup though is that it can cause the motor to take awhile to get up to operating temperature if you don't have temperature valves setup up to up open and close, I personally think this is getting into a teritory of overcomplicating something that should be kept simple. The 4.0 is a good motor because its basic and does everything it does very well besides make a lot of power XD.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you and let me know what you think,
[/FONT]

I don't even understand what your trying to say, I'm saying the factory oil pump can't handle an increase in the system line length/pressure loss. You'ld be better off with a remote pump and cooler/filter, the temp controls are the easy part.

Sorry about that I misunderstood you XD. I understand now, thats honestly not a bad option. just add a bunge the oil pan and setup a completely separate electric oil pump?

I used a coolant to oil heat exchanger to bring the oil temp up to temp faster and keep it there. I was planning on doing a remote filter arangement but I never got to that. I still have all the parts some place, so maybe one day I'll attack that.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1113130

Back