• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Lubrication????

jerseyjeep01

NAXJA Forum User
As of now my 2001 XJ is completely stock, but I do have some near future plans for her. I have been researching alot lately and have decided to go with the Full Traction LA and JB Conversions SS SYE. I know that the pinion should be pointed a few degrees under from the shaft. I'm not sure what degree shim that will require. By angling the pinion the pinion up I fear this will starve the pinion bearings for the proper lubrication required. Overfilling maybe?? But will this prevent damage? Any suggestions? BTW, its an 8.25 and is driven daily.

Last edited:
What rear end?

Buy yourself a good aftermarket diff cover with a raised fillplug.

RC-D60.jpg

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=RC-DIFFCOVERS

I dunno what he's talking about 8.25's are great rear ends.

You however, can't run a rock crusher cover.

You can run a blue torch fab diff cover though. Their site was down just a moment ago or I'd send you a link. You can also trim the rear to match the profile of the diff cover and gain some clearance. PM me monday and I'll find you a writeup.

-C

mjma said:
ditch the 8.25. it'll probably eat bearings regardless.
Its true, it will eat bearings....

Might have had something to do with running a combination of gear oil and ring gear flakes though.

I suspect I'm missing an inside joke, and that somehow genuine gears were involved. :)

cal said:
I suspect I'm missing an inside joke, and that somehow genuine gears were involved. :)
Not really. Wheeling once and pushed in my cover a tad to what I thought was just clear of the ring gear. Paid no attention to it as everything still worked. About 6 months later and a new diff cover(btf) when I opened the cover I had gear lube that sparkled. Apparently it pushed it in just enough to rub the ring gear slightly and grind away at it and the cover. My bearings are a wee bit loud now, time to change them whenever I'm not lazy.

6* is the steepest shim i have heard of being used on an XJ, and i ran one for a year without any rear axle problems. this was with a 4.5" lift and a t-case drop, played around til i got no vibes and kept it that way

now that i have a SYE, sitting at 6" i have about 4* of shimmage.

-Tim

If you're gonna have a cover with the fill plug that high, you better hope your inner seals are doing the trick or your tubes will be filled with oil.

I just plated the bottom half of my stock cover with 1/4" plate and cut pieces to conform to the shape, welding them together. It's beefcake now.
I can't stomach paying over $100 for a diff cover.

Yea, it's easy to starve the pinon bearing, so an extreme angle isn't good.
Shim it a bit, but don't go overboard.

with my 99xj and the full traction 6" la kit, I was happy with a 2.5* shim and the 8.25 rear end. Hope it helps.

jerseyjeep01 said:
53GUY.... I've been eye balling your jeep for awhile now. Have you had much success with you setup?

Oh hell yes. It has its down falls and you'll be constantly looking for more ways to flex out your rear packs because the front flexes so well, but I don't think I'd go another route if I did it again. Maybe different axle set ups, but that's a different story. You'll be really pleased with the FT kit. I suggest limiting straps. Get them for the front because you'll definately need it.

Back