• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injector install gone wrong, fuel leak and rough idle

XJ_NorCal

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently installed new 4 hole injectors, a 62mm bored throttlebody and a K&N filter. After installing I reset my PCM prior to starting up the vehicle. First try at startup I got nothing so I primed the fuel pump a few times then tried again but all I got was a bunch of clicking. Turns out I had a low battery so I swapped in a new one. Second try at startup and it fired up. I noticed a rough idle but figured it would take a few mins to smooth out so I went for a drive around the block and wow it ran terrible. I immediately regretted driving it at all. There was a very rich gasoline smell coming from the exhaust. I opened the hood and noticed a fuel leak coming from the gasket of the intake manifold just below steering pump reservoir and next to the injector. Never had an issue like this before and not sure where to begin.

Anybody have a similar problem with a fuel leak after install new injectors? It's running terribly rough. I confirmed I'm getting spark to the plug but haven't checked if the plug is fouled up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1998 cherokee sport
118k miles
auto transmission
4.0 litre 6 cyl

Are you sure the injectors are not faulty ?

A common problem when installing injectors or fuel rails is old dry injector o-rings, or o-rings getting cut/damaged during the install. I always use fresh O-rings on any replaced injectors, and lube them well with grease before installing them. Fix the fuel leak and see if the idle problem clears up.

Are you sure the injectors are not faulty ?

A common problem when installing injectors or fuel rails is old dry injector o-rings, or o-rings getting cut/damaged during the install. I always use fresh O-rings on any replaced injectors, and lube them well with grease before installing them. Fix the fuel leak and see if the idle problem clears up.

I installed brand new injectors and I lubed them up prior to installing. I thought I was careful but I wouldn't bet my life that I didn't tear an o-ring. The leak isn't coming from the injector though, fuel is seeping out from the seam of the engine block and intake manifold. I'm going to try to snug down all my intake manifold and exhaust header bolts in hopes that it takes care of the leak. Otherwise I think I'll have to replace the gasket which would be a time consuming pain in the ass.

If this all happened right after the new injectors, then you probably got a bad injector(s). Put the old ones back in and see what happens. My guess is that least one is dumping so much fuel it's seeping out the gasket. I highly doubtful the intake gasket just blew out after an injector swap.

If this all happened right after the new injectors, then you probably got a bad injector(s). Put the old ones back in and see what happens. My guess is that least one is dumping so much fuel it's seeping out the gasket. I highly doubtful the intake gasket just blew out after an injector swap.

Yep. You were spot on. The first injector was stuck open. Fouled the spark plug too. Put my old injector in and a new spark plug and she's running smooth as ever.

Because several people have had issues with his Chinese injectors.

That sucks. The good thing is his customer service has been outstanding. I will have a new injector here shortly.

Has anyone had issues with his headlight harness or electric fan override switch harness? I bought those as well but have yet to install them.

More complaints than good impressions.

Back