• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I was lazy and took my jeep to a shop and they killed it! HELP!

chiropeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Little back ground 89 jeep Cherokee 4.0 remix, have done all remix tricks,just put in all new vacuum lines all heat, disco working great,car is running like a new truck. Noticed coolant leaking at work thought it was thermostat, proceeded to get worse. Water pump weeping, and I have had a few occurrences of crank no start, so I live in Michigan and its getting cold outside, garage is packed with motorcycle projects and jet ski storage,soooo I take it to shop across street from my house to do water pump, thermostat, belt,hoses and a new crankshaft position sensor. Shop said it was all set,paid went to leave ,now jeep wont rev past1500 rpm,is backfiring, stumbles t
his was my daily, I know CPS works with timing what did they f up? And no the jeep is still there ,they have said it's all good three times this week and all I do is go from there exit to entrance, park jeep throw keys on counter and say try again. Any ideas help?

Little back ground 89 jeep Cherokee 4.0 remix, have done all remix tricks,just put in all new vacuum lines all heat, disco working great,car is running like a new truck. Noticed coolant leaking at work thought it was thermostat, proceeded to get worse. Water pump weeping, and I have had a few occurrences of crank no start, so I live in Michigan and its getting cold outside, garage is packed with motorcycle projects and jet ski storage,soooo I take it to shop across street from my house to do water pump, thermostat, belt,hoses and a new crankshaft position sensor. Shop said it was all set,paid went to leave ,now jeep wont rev past1500 rpm,is backfiring, stumbles t
his was my daily, I know CPS works with timing what did they f up? And no the jeep is still there ,they have said it's all good three times this week and all I do is go from there exit to entrance, park jeep throw keys on counter and say try again. Any ideas help?

Pretty inexcusable that they keep saying it's good, which means they aren't even test driving it. There have been posts lately about people getting bad, out-of-the-box aftermarket CPS sensors. They might have damaged the CPS wiring, or possibly damaged or splashed coolant on the #1 spark plug wire.

Pretty easy to route the O2 sensor/knock sensor/engine temp sensor harness wrong when changing out a water pump and have it cook on the exhaust manifold.

Sounds like they may have screwed up the CPS or mounted it poorly.

I am not sure if I have one on renix,open system with goofy reservoir.

A RENIX Jeep?
You have two:
One on top of the head, it is for the instrument cluster.
One on the driver's side of the block, obscured by the engine mount bracket, it supplies data to the ECU.

I had a bad cps cause this issue, but it can also be caused by distributor indexing, or a clogged CAT.

lots of things can cause backfiring, bad sensor, low fuel pressure, weak spark, etc, but if they only messed with the cooling system then the most likely thing is they forgot to plug the coolant sensor back in or connector got damaged

I had a bad cps cause this issue, but it can also be caused by distributor indexing, or a clogged CAT.

I'd put good money on it being a bad/loose Vacuum connection from the Throttle body to the MAP sensor. 98% odds that is it, Unless they got coolant on the TPS sensor and trashed it. Kind of hard to do swapping out a water pump, but.....possible

Back