• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 New Windshield rubber molding buckling a bit?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Just has a new windshield installed by Safelite and the rubber trim has some 'buckleing' that I'm hoping will lay down after a day or 2 in the sun. Has anyone had issues with this after having a new windshield installed? Will it get better or should I do something to help?

I had to get it replaced due to the one I had leaking around the top every time it would rain.

Thanks

I think it will depend on where they got the seal from. When I did my 2000 a year+ ago I purchased one from Jeep and it's been good ever since. As for Crown or Omix-ada type or other Chinese crap I couldn't tell you.

I guess only time will tell. No idea where Safelite gets their Jeep glass but at least it has a lifetime warranty.. ha.

Thanks for the info.

I'll be extremely disappointed and pissed off is this is the best it will look. I went out and did a closer examination and it's not even close to being a tight fit around either side and across the top. I'm going to call Safelite and see what they will do about it.

It looks like a bead of silicone needs to be run along both A-Pillars down to the corner of the window to hold the rubber surround in place.

I'd post a few pics if I had a way to do so...

So I called Safelite and they're going to come out to my house on 12/26 to inspect and replace if needed. There's a good 1/2" - 3/4" space around the rubber molding along almost the entire Pass side and a big buckle and similar spacing on the drivers side. It looks like the installer messed the install up. Hopefully the replacement will be better and the weather will be nice when he/she comes out to replace it. Damn I hate it when someone else messes up an install on my XJ. That's why I try and do everything myself. At least that way I'm just mad at myself. :)

if it makes you feel better that seal has nothing to do with being weathertight

It's purely cosmetic, your windshield is glued in and sealed when installed -- the gasket is just filler to make it look good

With that said I would't live with it either -- have them come out and fix it

Thanks. I new that about sealing up the windshield. However, it looks really bad. Almost looks like the window isn't popped in... if that makes sense. If they can't or wont fix it and if I cant get my money back.. I'll be buying a tube of clear silicone and some painters tape and seeing how much better I can make it look. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Update: Working on getting a refund f/Safelite. They supposedly issues me a refund check and mailed it out last week, but I still haven't received it. I'll stay on them.

I had another installer put in a new Windshield and he did a great job. It was easy to see why the SF install had wind noise when pulling it out. They set the windshield too high and the entire lower portion of the glass had virtually Zero contact w/the frame around the windshield. The new installers Glass and Rubber surround fit a LOT better and so far so good. No wind noise and after it rained I didn't see any leaks. Hopefully I won't have to do this replacement again. :)

Back