• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 rattling noise after rebuild

Jaguarjx2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep XJ with a lot of modifications but my concern i believe is with a relatively stock trans or transfer case. I mainly use it as a DD, with some off roading on the weekends and the occasional road trip/camping.

The jeep has a Rebuild 4.0 with cam and mild head work, 8.25 w/LSD, Dana 30 w/LSD, 5in lift and other various steering and chassis work and boltons.

This XJ started out with an AW4 and NP231j, I recently converted it to a 5 speed with parts from a donor 97 XJ. Prior to installing the trans and transfer case I tore them down and rebuilt them. The transmission got all new bearings, syncros, seals, new reverse idler, counter shaft, second, third and updated fifth gear as well as 1-2 slider. Currently it is filled with Redline mt90. I am also running a OE equivalent flywheel and a centerforce dual friction clutch.

The transfer case received all new bearings, seals, Borg Warner Chain and an SYE kit. I am running a custom double cardan rear driveshaft, and currently no front drive shaft is installed. I also have an aftermarket transfer case linkage to eliminate the stock z linkage. It is filled with Valvoline TC Fluid.

So my issue, since the rebuild, while driving I hear what i would describe as a rattling noise (it almost sounds like old school roller skate bearings when you spin them) predominately in 5th gear, but can also be heard in 4th to a lesser extent. The nose becomes more apparent the longer you drive and is heard through the shifter boot and can be felt through the shifter as well. The noise deflects slightly when the shifter is in 5th gear, and pushed to the right.

I need to double check, but I believe the noise remains when the clutch is depressed, but goes away when shifted into neutral.

I do not seem to hear this noise in the other gears, and on cold start it seems much less noticeable.

Now I will say I already had to go back into this trans once. I had this noise which concerned me, and a rather loud noise when coasting in reverse. which ended up being wear on the revers gear on the countershaft and the 1-2 slider which I thought would be ok "since its only reverse". I checked all my clearances and ensured I didn't have any excessive play anywhere and it all seemed good. After reinstall the noise in reverse was gone, but this issue still remained.

Yesterday after driving 40 miles, while parked I placed the transfer case in neutral and went through the gears to see if I could recreate the noise even though there would be no load. I was able to hear a very similar rattling noise in 3,4 and 5. Leaving it idling in fifth, I crawled under to see if I could identify where the sound was coming from, and it appeared to be coming from the transfer case.

This weekend I plan to throw it on jack stands and get it up to speed to see if I can recreate the noise that way and identify the location.

But at this point I'm slightly confused on where to go and was hoping someone may have some good advice.

Thank you

Back