• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door "decal" and Front Chrome Trim

TriZZle904

NAXJA Forum User
(Question 1)i was wondering if there was a special way for me to remove black and red strip on the bottom of the doors on my jeep or if i could just try and rip it off somehow...
(Question 2)i have a 95 sport... the front of my jeep has the black trim around the headlights... when i take of the stock "grill" there is a gap where the headlight trim runs across the front...(ill try to post a picture tommrrow) also...... i bought a chrome tube grilll so it doesnt match too well but ive seen jeeps with the chrome trim(all the way across front) so i was wondering if there wuz a place i could buy the trim or should i just go to a junkyard and find one thats still intact.... if i find or buy one how do i take that off too....

Well, I just re-read that post and was thinking differently about that red stripe...yeah, not a pin stripe, right? Sorry, guess I dont know.

What yr XJ is it? Gotta be somwhere around a 96. Cuz I had a 96 that had that stripe on it. If im not mistaken, its just like a panel of some sort and should pop off if you jam something behind it to start prying it up with. But there may be holes underneath where perhaps some kinda plastic snaps hold it on. Ill check it out tomorrow on my budddy's 96 and Ill get back to ya.

the best way I have found to remove those stripes is with an old hair dryer. I had the stripes on my '86 and used the hair dryer to warm them up and peal them back slowly. Keep the heat a little ahead of where you are pulling the stripe from, this keeps the glue warm and your fingers from over heating. I have used this trick many times to remove old decals and pin stripes, works like a charm. Now to remove the residual glue takes a little effort. Use " GOO GONE " to do this, along with a little patience.

its held on with adhesive,no plastic tabs at all..if you take it off you will have some fading..i have a 94 xj and thats how mine is...

I would just post in the wanted or for sale forums that you want to swap black plastic for chrome plastic, im sure somebody will jump on the chance I know i would have, but now I have the Sport I wanted and it already has the black trim.

Jeep changed the way the grille and hood trim fit in 1991. The old ones have a separate trim strip across the top of the grille, permanently attached to the header panel. Starting in '91, although it looks the same this strip was attached to and part of the grille.

I don't know if the header panels are the same. You can buy the chrome trim from a dealer (order it for an '88 or '89), but if the header panels are different you might have to find a way to mount it. You will also need two matching strips to go over the headlights, and replacement headlight bezels.

Back