• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird problem w/ smilies

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Dang I hate computers.

I have two Dell desktops in my home "office." One is about a year older than the other, both are now approximately 4 years old, both are running Windows 98 and use Netscape 7.0 for browser.

On the older computer, which is the one I'm usually on when accessing the forums, when posting a message I can click on a smily and have it automatically inserted into the message I'm writing. Usually wants to go on a new line by itself, but it shows up.

With the newer computer, when I click on a smilie, either from the short list on the message screen or from the full list in a separate window ... the cursor jumps down a line but no smily code gets inserted. But if I type in the smily code manually, the smily shows up in the message.

WTF?

Odd. Might try a forced refresh with the F5 key. Not a Netscape user, so no idea how to troubleshoot that. Maybe another Netscape user can help?

Eagle said:
Dang I hate computers.

I have two Dell desktops in my home "office." One is about a year older than the other, both are now approximately 4 years old, both are running Windows 98 and use Netscape 7.0 for browser.

On the older computer, which is the one I'm usually on when accessing the forums, when posting a message I can click on a smily and have it automatically inserted into the message I'm writing. Usually wants to go on a new line by itself, but it shows up.

With the newer computer, when I click on a smilie, either from the short list on the message screen or from the full list in a separate window ... the cursor jumps down a line but no smily code gets inserted. But if I type in the smily code manually, the smily shows up in the message.

WTF?

Just noticed another anomoly that I have encountered before, but had no reason to comment on.

On the older computer that I normally use for the forums, the quick reply box at the bottom of each thread is OFF unless I click in a post to acivate it.

On the newer computer, it's always "live" -- I do not have to click anywhere, I can just scroll below the last post and type directly into the quick reply box.

In the UserCP, look at the Options, and try a different Editor setting. BTW, what skin are you using?

Eagle said:
Just noticed another anomoly that I have encountered before, but had no reason to comment on.

On the older computer that I normally use for the forums, the quick reply box at the bottom of each thread is OFF unless I click in a post to acivate it.

On the newer computer, it's always "live" -- I do not have to click anywhere, I can just scroll below the last post and type directly into the quick reply box.

Friday evening -- back on the older machine. Smiles work on this one, but I just found yet a third anomoly: When I was on the other machine this morning, all 4 permissions were set to "Yes." On this machine, I'm back to Not Allowed for attachments.

On this computer, I'm using the Forum Default skin, and I assume I am on the other since I have never poked into that screen before but I'll confirm next time I turn on that computer. Editor is Standard w/ extra formatting.

HEY!

Saturday night (actually 02:35 a.m. Sunday) and all 4 permissions are set to "You May"

Glenn, did you fix something, or is this more arcane self-healing computer magic?

Back