• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

150w HID floods?

after some quick research mike... i dont think we can build them for what he is selling his for.. hes buying in bulk from over seas has to be, well in all actuallity the housing he is using is ultimatly cheap so maybe not.. pm me and we can figure some of this out.. maybe i will build a set

You shouldn't be turning your offroad lights on on the street anyway...

I use my aux lights out in the country... If I see headlights crest over a hill, I turn them off.

I use them how most people use their high beams, useful to have on when its pitch black out, not courteous to have on around other drivers.

i bet they are the same as any other hid.. you can flick them off for a short period and still turn them back on and they will still be warm...

Not exactly...

They definitely seem to be an "all purpose" flood pattern, more round then the wide flat pattern most automotive lights have.

'Not sure the warm up time matters for reasonable applications. You'd only be using these off road. It's not like you'd be flicking them on/off with the hi-beams. Even if they take 2 minutes to reach full brightness(about what the metal halides on our flag poles take to warm up) it wouldn't be a factor. Once it's dark, they're on.
Also, this from their web site: So they're definitely not "on/off" like most of what we use.

Why are you quoting tbburg there Cher? He's not saying anything about turning them back on. I used metal-halide lamps for an...uhm... "indoor greenhouse" project a few years back, and they come right back on once they are warmed up, just like HID headlights. they don't instantly cool off when you turn them off.

I'd be interested to see what kind of interference those ballasts give off as well, and how they would affect radio equipment. Since they're designed for 110v current I don't think they have to comply to the same tolerances as automotive electrical parts do.

very true... grimm

and cherbear i have had aot of hid's and you can turn them off and right back on with no warm up period.. they will stay warm for awhile before you will have to go thru a " Warm up" again..

Why are you quoting tbburg there Cher? He's not saying anything about turning them back on. I used metal-halide lamps for an...uhm... "indoor greenhouse" project a few years back, and they come right back on once they are warmed up, just like HID headlights. they don't instantly cool off when you turn them off.

I'd be interested to see what kind of interference those ballasts give off as well, and how they would affect radio equipment. Since they're designed for 110v current I don't think they have to comply to the same tolerances as automotive electrical parts do.

Ah crap, quoted the wrong thing... too late to change it.

I guess i misunderstood some of the lighting terminology, my mistake.

Indoor greenhouse... :farmer: sheesh

Ah crap, quoted the wrong thing... too late to change it.

I guess i misunderstood some of the lighting terminology, my mistake.

Indoor greenhouse... :farmer: sheesh

I did more than learn in high school, I forgot some things too. 'nuff said :gee:

Hey Grim-, I think Cher- meant to quote this from post #14, which wouldn't show up in a re-quote without changing the text. It was already a quote:
Because the ArcLight system uses Metal Halide light sources the restrike time for the ballast is not instantaneous as it is with Xenon lamps...ArcLight lamps require a cooling down period after they are turned off before they can be reignited.

That would make quite the difference, apologies Cher :cheers:

I still want to see them with a nice reflector and a decent lens over the front. honestly those lights look from the pictures like either floodlights from a tractor or forklift, or the lights that are on those emergency power outage boxes that buildings sometimes have in them in along the emergency exit paths. I was seriously underwhelmed when I saw the short throw of the beam on that youtube video.

I need to get me a couple of these 1kw tank searchlights :D

(No, that is NOT photoshopped, it's bright enough to throw that beam of light)

lightandsupply.jpg

VSS3_07_23_05_As.jpg

VSS3_07_23_05_Bs.jpg
VSS3_07_23_05_Cs.jpg

Back