• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1790 Flying Filarski 2010 ORAF 500

FatCity

NAXJA Forum User
The Flyin Fiarski’s left the line in the TEN Factory, Motive Gear Jeepspeed with Eric behind the wheel and Co-dog Jeff Lessley in the right hand seat.
The plan after pre-running was to set a winning lap pace of 2 hours per lap which the team felt would keep the car together and the shock temps down.
Lap one went as planned with Eric setting a lap time of just seconds of 2 hours.

oraf-500.jpg

At main pit the crew topped the car off with fuel to determine it’s range. A pretty impressive 6 mile per gallon.
Starting the second lap the car felt solid. Around mile 5 second lap while racing door to door with the Nissely 1719 the brake pedal went straight to the floor…
We limped it 10 miles to the Dust Junkies remote pit where LJ and Clem put our spare brake line on and bled the brakes. Off like a herd of turtles we went for 30 more miles. While reeling in 4th place the motor suddenly shut off. Jeff and I hopped out to switch the fuel pump lines over to the spare but upon further inspection it seemed to be working.
I hit the starter and it fired up… We battled the engine shutting down and not re-firing for the rest of the 2nd lap. Despite the ignition and brake problems the car still set a 2:20 minute lap.

Parker425-1.jpg

We came into main where Ryan Filar and Ron Lessley took over the car. The team spent a few minutes trying to diagnose the ignition problem, splashed gas and sent them on their way into the night.

oraf-500-5.jpg

Ryan and Ron discovered the car wasn’t charging and the batteries had been drawn down to where the radio wouldn’t put out any more. Ryan thought it may be a short in the alternator. At mile 60 running with no lights to save the battery voltage they made the call to put the spare alternator on. Unfortunately they lost a lot of time doing the swap with the limited tools in the car by a little more than the light of the moon at that point. After the swap they noticed the alternator was pegged and over charging. There was still a ground somewhere.

Ryan brought the car into main where the Dust Junkies team jumped on it and found the problem. The ARB compressor mount had broken off and perfectly remounted to the main power cable of the starter. I was under the console looking for the culprit when I heard “Why’s this compressor mounted so low?” I yelled out from under the dash “It’s not, it’s mounted up high by the hood!...” “We found it then!”
Problem solved.

P1010630.jpg

By the 4th lap the shocks were fading in the front and Ryan and Ron decided to hold a safe pace and finish. They brought the car in just after midnight for 5th place.

Huge thanks to the 1706 Dust Junkies team and the entire NAXJA crew for all their pit support in the pits. We couldn’t do it without you.

Huge Props to our sponsors for all their support.
Motive Gear and TEN Factory for the all our drivetrain needs. Same set of gears and axles for thousands and thousands of race miles now with ZERO failures!
Light Force for keeping the night bright.
BFG tires! Baja 1000 win, Parker 425 and ORAF 500 with no flats!
National Drivetrain for all their help and race support.
The Stobaugh family.
Thanks again guys!

Eric Filar
oraf-500-3.jpg

Last edited:
Also HUGE indivisual THANKS to the NAXJA crew that came out and pitted for us again.
You guys are the best!

Cal
Goatman
Carol98?? and her daughter Aldon
MD11fan
tcm_glx
Silverslk
Ryan93
Dave Taylor
Dan the Man "Gerr"
Crazy Jim

One of these days I really need to head out to one of these races to pit and photograph.

This is a hard working race crew.........and bring plenty of beer.

happen to know someone who lost a 35" baja t/a during this race??
ive been watching the lost and found thread over on rdc, but i dont feel like jumping thru their hoops to post it.

man talk about honor in racing, that's awesome.

great report and great pics, thanks guys (nice action shots Dave!)

Also HUGE indivisual THANKS to the NAXJA crew that came out and pitted for us again.
You guys are the best!

Cal
Goatman
Carol98?? and her daughter Aldon
MD11fan
tcm_glx
Silverslk
Ryan93
Dave Taylor
Dan the Man "Gerr"
Crazy Jim

Hey! You forgot me!!

It was fun. Glad you guys finished. Thanks for sharing your fire back at main...... I think I finally got to bed around 3 am....

Awesome race report, and great guys to hang with..... now when is the 1000?

Back