NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 20th, 2020, 14:15
NAXJA Member

Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Wasn't sure where to put this.......

Check yours....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...mwHdI7byxF1fbE
Old May 20th, 2020, 14:40
NAXJA Member

Re: Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Thank you for the info.
I just went out to check ours and sure enough we own the very stands being recalled.
Old May 20th, 2020, 21:45
NAXJA Forum User

I have the 56372 jack stands, but it only looks like the 56371 are recalled. I guess I'm safe? I don't know what the difference is, they look the same to me
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspan View Post
I have the 56372 jack stands, but it only looks like the 56371 are recalled. I guess I'm safe? I don't know what the difference is, they look the same to me
The difference is probably when they were made, and where the materials were sourced from.
I own the 6 ton model. I might find some time to take them in and swap them out. I've never had a problem with mine, but I guess it's when I DO have a problem I'll wish I'd have exchanged them.
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:37
NAXJA Member

From what I've seen, the teeth on the recalled ones were machined poorly and can slip. Saw a picture on FB comparing them to a non recalled set. Can't find it now, but if I see it again I'll post it up.
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:47
Degenerate Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
A couple of years ago I bought some 12-ton jack stands from HF. The first time I used them they both collapsed as soon as I lowered the front axle of the Jeep onto them. I discovered that the pawls were cast steel, and VERY roughly cast. They just didn't have teeth to sufficiently engage the matching teeth on the riser. I took them back. About a year later I was hanging out at Avery's place when a HB 12-ton jack stand collapsed under Bricker's jeep, with Bricker sitting on the ground right next to it. Thankfully, no one was under it. BE WARNED -- I'VE PERSONALLY SEEN HARBOR FREIGHT 12-TON JACK STANDS FAIL TWICE. ITS A PIECE OF CRAP PRODUCT AND NOT WORTH THE RISK, in my opinion.

BTW, lest anyone think I just have some sort of axe to grind with HB, I have owed a set of their 6-ton stands for years and use them regularly.
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:46
NAXJA Forum User

Yikes. I've always said, if it has moving parts, go somewhere other than HF. Thanks for this.
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:53
NAXJA Forum User

It hit Hemmings, too. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...k-stand-recall
Old May 21st, 2020, 09:47
NAXJA Member

Call me old school but I wouldn't own pawl type jack stands without a secondary cross pin. I bought these years ago for that reason and they haven't killed me yet....
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Big-Ste..._t3_B000CO86BY
Old May 21st, 2020, 18:31
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwerly View Post
Yikes. I've always said, if it has moving parts, go somewhere other than HF. Thanks for this.
Agreed. Honestly, unless you are buying some one time use (hand) tool that you are going to use only a handful of times at HF, you should definitely reconsider your priorities in life.
Old May 21st, 2020, 21:20
NAXJA Forum User

I don't know man, back in the day harbor freight used to be cheap Chinese junk compared to everyone else. Now I feel like everyone else sells Chinese junk anyway so harbor freight isn't that different anymore.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:17
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspan View Post
I don't know man, back in the day harbor freight used to be cheap Chinese junk compared to everyone else. Now I feel like everyone else sells Chinese junk anyway so harbor freight isn't that different anymore.
Sadly, too true.

And the only jackstand I have ever had trouble with was one of my Snap-ons. Go figure.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownxj View Post
Agreed. Honestly, unless you are buying some one time use (hand) tool that you are going to use only a handful of times at HF, you should definitely reconsider your priorities in life.
I got my 20" 12 spd drill press there on sale...and man, it has been awesome.

Only thing I have had to do other than use it is replace the on-off switch, as it stuck in the on position and I got tired of unplugging it when I was done.

It was on sale for like 249 back then (over 12 yrs ago) and was recommended by someone who told me when it bound up while using a hole saw for some cage tubing, it didn't stop, it swung the 6' piece of tubing around and knocked a hole in the wall and 'bout took his head off as it swung.

It has not disappointed me yet..........but it could use a better quality chuck....which is an easy fix.

I also got my newer tool chest and hang on cabinet from there......very impressed with them.

I did have to shim 1 wheel tho so it sat perfectly level empty, and I fully expect the zerk fittings in the aluminum wheels to be an issue.

I do agree tho, most things there are single use................
Old May 22nd, 2020, 16:56
NAXJA Member

Pretty darn true actually.

I work in the trades and it is hard to find domestically made stuff these days. Even companies like klein are importing a large portion of their tools.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 16:44
NAXJA Forum User

I have three sets 15year old 7ton stands from HF. Has HF quality gone down hill?