• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowing smoke from exhaust

rain164845

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I just flushed my coolant today and also replaced the ccv elbows and hoses on my 1992 xj inline 4.0. After this work, I am booking huge plumes of burning oil from my exhaust. It seems like the vacuum system is pushing/pulling oil into the intake manifold from the rear hose. The rear hose has suction on it and there is oil in this hose.
The front hose has pressure on it but no oil on the air filter.
Does anyone have any ideas what my problem is? I disconnected the ccv hoses to try to burn off any oil in the manifold, and it ran for several minutes with the same amount of smoke.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Also, how long at idle should it take for the oil to burn out of the intake if that is the problem?

Did you replace the rear valve with the correct unit(it's not just a elbow).

Time to clean the hose with some carbi cleaner. This will help post smoke fix.
As it will still blow smoke after fix otherwise.
And do intake manifold as well, possibly even plugs will be fould and need a clean.
Residue in exhaust may linger for a while too.
Even on your valve seats.
After dumping a bit of cleaner down your intake, and starting it.
Give it some more, and half crank motor at intervals to wet all valves with it.
Then take it for a good blat and repeat.
Bad fuel injectors when dead or no signal stay in the open position!
Dumping fuel constantly!
Common diagnoses is blown head gasket (incorrect)

You need to thoroughly clean your CCV hoses as suggested. Likewise, the oil control rings on your pistons may be stuck in the piston and not seating against the cylinder walls and causing severe oil blowby. Likewise, the oil drain holes in the pistons may be clogged shut and preventing oil drain-back to the oil pan. Excess oil then remains in the cylinders and gets blown out the exhaust. Solution? Pull all the spark plugs and spray ONE CAN of Gumout into all cylinders. Let the Gumout set for a couple of hours or overnight, replace the spark plugs and fire it up. You'll blow some white smoke and then it'll clear up as the piston oil rings once again seat against the cylinder walls. If the white smoke prevails, you may have a broken piston ring. Gumout dissolves the lacquers present in gasoline. Lacquers typically clogs the piston's oil drainback holes and builds up on the piston's oil control rings to lock them in the piston so they're not against the cylinder walls. . Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR

I'm doing a compression test in the next few days. I'll start there then try some of the other things. I think it is the rear ccv seeing oil from the valve cover to get sucked into the manifold.

I'm doing a compression test in the next few days. I'll start there then try some of the other things. I think it is the rear ccv seeing oil from the valve cover to get sucked into the manifold.

That's what it is deigned to do, but excessive oil is a trait of a problem.

The crazy thing is that I didn't have this problem until I replaced the rotted ccv lines with new ones. I also flushed the coolant, but I don't think it is related.

You need to thoroughly clean your CCV hoses as suggested. Likewise, the oil control rings on your pistons may be stuck in the piston and not seating against the cylinder walls and causing severe oil blowby. Likewise, the oil drain holes in the pistons may be clogged shut and preventing oil drain-back to the oil pan. Excess oil then remains in the cylinders and gets blown out the exhaust. Solution? Pull all the spark plugs and spray ONE CAN of Gumout into all cylinders. Let the Gumout set for a couple of hours or overnight, replace the spark plugs and fire it up. You'll blow some white smoke and then it'll clear up as the piston oil rings once again seat against the cylinder walls. If the white smoke prevails, you may have a broken piston ring. Gumout dissolves the lacquers present in gasoline. Lacquers typically clogs the piston's oil drainback holes and builds up on the piston's oil control rings to lock them in the piston so they're not against the cylinder walls. . Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR
Which gumout product? Looks like they have 2 that might be what you're referring to.
Would it be better to cycle the engine without plugs prior to firing up with all that excess fluid in the combustion chamber?

rain164845,

In answer to your questions;
1. I use Gumout carb cleaner.
2, I've found that if the Gumout carb cleaner is left in the cylinders for a couple hours or better yet-over night, it drains past the stuck-closed piston rings (loosening them to spring outwards against the cylinder walls) and then drains into the oil where it evaporates quickly. The Gumout is very volatile and never pools in the cylinders as it leaks through all the piston ring gaps and into the crankcase. Spray some Gumout on a surface outside and see how long it takes to evaporate; It's not very long.

Best regards,

CJR

The new one might be allowing (working order) the gunge in the pipe to be now sucked into the intake, thus burning it. And may take a while to clear/burn it. .
Some vehicles are fitted with a baffle in the cover to avoid oil being flicked up directly into the vac line.
I would pop the cover off and inspect it. Degrease it and flush out under the baffle if fitted.
And check your fuel injector connections, in case you bumped one of them off.
When disconnected, fuel is actually being pumped constantly. Then it will blow smoke and moisture constantly out the exhaust.

That just isn't right! Clean it all out good and flush it into the oil pan. I would recommend pulling the pan and cleaning it and the oil pump screen also.

That just isn't right! Clean it all out good and flush it into the oil pan. I would recommend pulling the pan and cleaning it and the oil pump screen also.
Is there a suggested method to clean it out without clogging the oil passages?

Good grief! Have you ever changed that oil? You've got so much gunk it there, it's probably not draining back down to the pan and getting blown out the ccv. Yeah, you need to do some major cleaning and pull the pan. I'd be shocked if the oil pickup isn't just as nasty.

That is pretty bad! If it were my XJ, I'd get a couple gallons of kerosene and start cleaning the head with a paint brush and let it drain into the crankcase. Then , as suggested, I'd pull the oil pan and clean it as well. I've seen some oil pans with a 1/2" plus layer of grease/dirt in the bottom that had to be scrapped out.

Best regards,

CJR

Back