NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 14th, 2006, 10:58
NAXJA Forum User

Sound deadening

I plan on quieting down the interior of my 98, it's an SE so there's NO insulation anywhere other than carpet and headliner. I do not plan on doing the whole interior at once, don't have the time to rip out insides and put it back together in one shot, can't spare a weekend. Plan on doing it a bit at a time. Question is what are the most noisy areas that will show the best results. Also the application of the material, best technique for application, tricks n tips...
Somebody mentioned some material available at home depot and/or Lowes that is much cheaper $$ wise...
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Sound deadening

No scientific info for you but I'd try to do it in bits and pieces.

Looking at the largest flat peice of sheet metal and/or proximity to noisy bits I'd proceed in this order:

- firewall
- floor
- side/doors (if accessible)
- roof

If you can spare a day or so per area over the course of a bunch of weekends it should be done in no time.

I'd be leary to use the cheapie hardware store stuff. I'm concerned with the off-gassing from asphalt products and such. We are exposed to enough cancer causing agents/waves/etc., no sense in tempting fate.

Plan here is to look into the epoxy (?) based noise/heat suppression products that can be brushed or rolled on. They should set up mostly solid, are paintable, etc.

HTH
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:31
NAXJA Forum User

I would start with the roof. It isn't too bad to access and it is the largest part. I used a spray-on product from Rockford Fosgate called Noisekiller, but I don't think it is available anymore. I know there are some other comparable items on the market.

I, too, have wondered about sticking the asphalt/foil sheets in my car. I have the windows down a lot and it isn't exactly air-tight in the first place. I think I would consider it as an affordable solution to Dynamat, or the like.

I did this after I had 2 12" Fosgates installed in the back of my Jeep. The roof would resonate like a bitch. Not anymore. The problem with a spray-on application is the need to mask off everything. It is a lot like spraying on rubberized undercoating.

Nevermind about the Hope Deport peel-and-seal asphalt sheets. I just read they fall off in the summer heat. That would blow.

Last edited by cherokee89; June 14th, 2006 at 12:45.
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:46
NAXJA Forum User

I'm doing some more reading, I'd like to find a cheaper $$ wise alternative to damplifier pro but want to avoid asphalt if I can and go with straight buytl rubber with the foil..
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:51
NAXJA Member

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ght=secondskin
Old June 14th, 2006, 14:07
NAXJA Forum User

Thumbs up Re: Sound deadening

www.raamaudio.com
Thats what I used when I competed in USAC Outlaw SPL.
Very good stuff
Old June 14th, 2006, 15:20
NAXJA Forum User

fatmat.com
Old June 14th, 2006, 19:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
I'm doing some more reading, I'd like to find a cheaper $$ wise alternative to damplifier pro but want to avoid asphalt if I can and go with straight buytl rubber with the foil..
The heavy duty undercoating from Autozone worked really on the insides of my doors. I made sure the windows were all the way up, took the panels off and then used masking tape to cover the window tracks. I just hosed the whole thing down, ended up putting about 1/8-3/16" of rubberized coating over the entire door skin. I did all 4 doors this way, then I picked up some similar stuff from NAPA that didn't seem to be a rubbery, and took nearly 3 days to become tacky. Bad stuff, didn't even work very well, I used the NAPA stuff over the rear wheels and inside the rear panels, around the gas fill tube, etc. Not on the cargo deck, just on the wheel wells. It didn't kill the noise nearly as well as the Vatozone stuff.

I noticed more difference from the mechanical side though, tires made a big difference (in the wrong direction, my tires are noisier that what I had before), removed the roof rails (HUGE improvement on wind noise on the freeway) and lost the mech fan which helped a surprising amount with noise, got me better off-the-stoplight performance and a little better economy.

I haven't done anything else, didn't want to take the Jeep out of commision nor spend a bunch of money. I have a so-so stero with amp and now it sounds better, enough that I really enjoy it. I also have the Laredo package, which includes underhood insulation and padding on the floor. An extra layer of carpet pad in the cargo area helped cover the sound of my Flowmaster, but I took it out for something and haven't replaced it.
Old June 14th, 2006, 19:23
Jackstand wheeler

I used some of this stuff.
Heat/Sound Insulation
I only put it in the liftgate, above the headliner, and in the rear doors. I was going to put more in, but ended up using it on a friends car. Even with what little I did do, it made a big difference. You can sit inside my rig and tell where I didn't put it just by the amount of noise that comes through. I used some 3M spray adhesive #08090 to hold it where I wanted it.
Old June 14th, 2006, 19:28
NAXJA Forum User

I planning on doing this in in the future and I had planned in doing the fatmat deal. After reading this http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ I completely found a better product. It all comes down to asphalt based vs. butyl based, the later being superior, and the Rammaudio product can not be touched.

It is butyl based priced competively w/ asphalt based.
Just thought I'd share my findings.
Old June 14th, 2006, 19:57
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypla
and the Rammaudio product can not be touched.
Damplifier.
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 Jeep Project
Damplifier.

I was talkin price to quality ratio.
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:34
NAXJA Forum User

I used the Raamaudio on one of my cars and it was very impressive. I got it off of ebay from raamaudio for significantly cheaper than fatmat, dynamat, etc.
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypla
I planning on doing this in in the future and I had planned in doing the fatmat deal. After reading this http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ I completely found a better product. It all comes down to asphalt based vs. butyl based, the later being superior, and the Rammaudio product can not be touched.

It is butyl based priced competively w/ asphalt based.
Just thought I'd share my findings.
The fatmat is rubber too, no mention of asphalt that I could find...
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:15
NAXJA Forum User

anybody used anything from McMaster-Carr?

go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "sound damper"

this one looks particularly interesting: search 9545T1