• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Jeep with 235 75 15's, Ground Clearance???

8dDUCE

NAXJA Forum User
The stock 225 75 15's IIRC, yields 8.3 inches at the front diff, and 7.3 inches at the rear diff. My 1997 XJ stock to me, I can not see any mods to the suspension to suggest any extra lift. It is on 235 75 15 Firestone Destination M/T's. My front diff is 9.5 inches from the diff to the ground. The rear diff is 8.25 inches off the ground, with a 8.25 rear axle. So, moving up to 235 from 225 increased my clearance, 1.2 inches in the front, and .95 inches in the rear???
This is really wierd, our YJ is on 33's (Thornbirds) it has a Skyjacker lift of 4 inches. The front diff clearance is 9.5 inches, and the rear is at 9.5 inches??? My XJ on 29.5 inch wheels, has the same clearance on the front diff, and an inch less on the rear as our YJ on 33's? BTW the YJ has a Dana 35 rear, not sure of the size differance between the 35 and 8.25, could it be close to an inch?? Anyways, I was wondering what clearances do you guys have? Scott.

if i understand correctly...the amount of lift on a vehicle won't affect what you're looking at, it would instead affect frame clearance. diff clearance will be affected by tire/rim size and how much air you have in them. air can make a very large difference

If you're looking to off road this baby, with stock suspension and 235s, you're probably going to get a lot of rubbing. At least that's what I've been told. But, if you're only wondering about clearance, I'm not sure.

Im lost here. I have a 90' stock xj w/235/75R15's rear leafs sag 2" below stock and front is 100% stock. I trailride and some off roading (minor rock crawl, up/down steep hills, etc..w/2 adults, full size spare, tools, and 150lbs of dogs and have yet to rub? Did a river crossing w/unseen large rocks on bottom no prob. (got lucky?):confused1

btw ride height is measured from wheel center to stock flare lower edge.

Replacing rear leafs is next on my to do list!

IIRC 235's are a 29" tall tire w/about 7 1/4" to 7 1/2" wide tread. 8-8 1/2" sidewall. Dont see why they would rub anywhere?

Is your front axle a Dana 30? If it is then the reason that the ground clearance in the front is different then the rear which is a Dana 35. The 35 being larger and there for having less ground clearance then the 30.

guess it all boils down to what you're jeep is used for...i use mine on the farm for 8-10 hours a day...hauling around a 300 gallon water tank on a trailer at least once a week...that's probly why mine rubbed...5 in lift and 31's fixed that ;-)

I have 235/75's on my '98 with no rubbing at all, even cranking the wheels left to right. I have very saggy rear suspension also. 235/75's measure out to be about a little more than 29" by about 9.25".

You can always correct a sagging rear end with longer shackles. I've got 1.5" Roughcountrys on mine with a 3.5" BDS Lift kit on 30" Wildcat EXTs. I haven't had any rubbing yet. It's not too extreme but it makes my rig pretty capable on the trail.

Back