• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ground clearance issues...

Shadowgames96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
For starters, I am a newb to this site, I have been on jeepforum, and other than that I have a modified lincoln. (sorry for the introduction) What is out there in the market as far a step rails, my wife doesn't like my jeep now because I have 5" of lift and 32" tires, so she can not climb in it anymore, (she is short) I don't want to loose the ground clearance, my only other idea is to carry around a step stool for her. :)

Shadowgames96XJ said:
For starters, I am a newb to this site, I have been on jeepforum, and other than that I have a modified lincoln. (sorry for the introduction) What is out there in the market as far a step rails, my wife doesn't like my jeep now because I have 5" of lift and 32" tires, so she can not climb in it anymore, (she is short) I don't want to loose the ground clearance, my only other idea is to carry around a step stool for her. :)

Shadowgames96XJ said:
so she can not climb in it anymore, (she is short) I don't want to loose the ground clearance, my only other idea is to carry around a step stool for her. :)
Get a taller wife

This is the PERFECT excuse to get a good set of Rock Rails.

I have 5.5" lift 33" tires and my AJ Super Square Rails work GREAT as a step, and also work awesome at keeping rock and trees from busting up your rocker panels.

90Pioneer said:
This is the PERFECT excuse to get a good set of Rock Rails.

I have 5.5" lift 33" tires and my AJ Super Square Rails work GREAT as a step, and also work awesome at keeping rock and trees from busting up your rocker panels.

yeah but RR's don't really hang down low enough to benefit short people. my c4x4 double tube rails suck when my short sister tries to get in, but then again i'm up 8" on lift...nothing would help the short in that situation

Kejtar said:

similar to this would be a short section of chain hanging down... Not a lot. The chain would be more durable than the nylon... likely cheaper too.

Depending on the type of wheeling you could leave it on. It would bump up and not suck up your ground clearance....

I do concede that there is a chance that you get hung up with it.

JAS said:
similar to this would be a short section of chain hanging down... Not a lot. The chain would be more durable than the nylon... likely cheaper too.

Depending on the type of wheeling you could leave it on. It would bump up and not suck up your ground clearance....

I do concede that there is a chance that you get hung up with it.

Ummmm . . . You just flip it in on the passenger floorboard after you get in. . . .

I was watching Truck on Spike a few weekends ago (dont shoot me, it was raining and I was bored). They lifted a full sized something or nuther and put side steps on it that automatically lower when the door opens and then fold back up under the body when it closes. Not too practical for the trail but an interesting concept non the less. I cant remember who made the kit though.

EDIT: here ya go.
http://www.ecarboutique.com/accessories/item.asp?ITEM_ID=504&DEPARTMENT_ID=66

How about a simple grab handle on the "B" pillar so she can pull herself up in. Its not a step but may work and be more practical.

kscherokee said:
did you look at the price tag. "Price: $1,250.00 "

I know. And what is it, a step and frame with an electric motor and relay. its rediculious. I didnt really consider it an option for him, I just thought it was interesting.

Good news is, that price is for two of them (L&R), he probably only needs one. :)

It would look weird only having one. But could you amagine crushing down onto that with a big rock. Doesn't look like it would hold up as a slider.

Now I have been debating creating a slider / step for my wife. It would basically unbolt right after the bar from the brackets and before the pinch seam. You then could either slide it out further for a step and back for a slider or create totaly different bar that drops a little and use it as a step and then you can take it off when wheeling and put the slider on.

Last edited:
kscherokee said:
It would look weird only having one. But could you amagine crushing down onto that with a big rock. Doesn't look like it would hold up as a slider.

Now I have been debating creating a slider / step for my wife. It would basically unbolt right after the bar from the brackets and before the pinch seam. You then could either slide it out further for a step and back for a slider or create totaly different bar that drops a little and use it as a step and then you can take it off when wheeling and put the slider on.

Get yourself some 2X2 rock rails from anyone or make your own. Drill two 1/2" holes in the side, all the way through, about 1' apart and make a step with two 1/2" pins that slide into those holes. Remove it when wheeling.

Make her stay at home .. lol

Think I'm going to get a set of rails for the same reason, and put some sandpaper on the top so she won't slip on it when going in or out of the Jeep

I like that idea about the pins.

If I really cared, I would take her XJ, but a stock XJ is not as fun to drive a modified one. Don't you agree.

Back