NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 10th, 2021, 15:05
NAXJA Forum User

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
interesting. going hydro assist b/c I can keep mine from cracking. just bought SFR inner stiffener as well. but concerned about welding to junk sheet metal.

Curious how you go about it. going to pull my gear to tap and start welding

Get some practice material about 14 gauge in size and practice. A LOT. the unibody burns through and youíre ****ed trying to fix a hole thatís hot and thin.

When I did stiffness I was using .035 Lincoln wire and a feed rate of about 160-170 ipm.
Old June 10th, 2021, 22:46
NAXJA Forum User

You just gotta burn a few holes then youl fix them and know what not to do see when its about to stick wire through the frame thats close to the 235 suggested setting for 035 and 14g. Always favor the plate side. But rolling the bead on the the sheet metal and seeing that its actually burning into both.

Got the clone iron man steering brace in. It was lacking half the hardware. Im going to run a 5/16 stiffner across it and burn tge box in that holds the pillow bearing.

I haven't drove it but now I've got a click coming from i think a track bar heim. Ill probly change the heims out so its all fresh then drive it.

Whoever suggested chasing the bolt holes that was a great suggestion I chsed them and all bolted together well. Only gripe is bolt heads holding pillow mount to cross member are running into the big bolts that clamp the steering gear to it.

Probably doesn't need a stiffner across it but I will. Its basically just a flat plate frame rail to frame rail.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old June 11th, 2021, 06:54
NAXJA Forum User

Re: My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

OT from your current posts, but do you have any weld-on frame stiffeners on your XJ?
Old June 12th, 2021, 07:47
NAXJA Forum User

Yes kinda. Ones I've made. The front section is plated with 1/4" were i mounted my coilovers mid section plated through link cross member. Outboard rear shock mounts i plated frame there then did shock towers ohhh and tube fenders have plated anchored points.
I would like to get a mid section frame kit since I'm getting some denting. And transmission crossmember has seen better days

So my not wanting to spend money and finding .120 wall is considered beef in the offroad world. I decide to fix my bent driveshaft. Transfercase side was running out about .8 and pinion side was to much for dial indicator to measure. Lol.

Old June 12th, 2021, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

Max
everything is on topic in this thread.
I got the runout on the new tube down to .08 I had it down almost to .05 then grew when final weld.
Ran around the block and ohhh man much smoother
I also made this longer since I've stretched the rear 1" and lifted lots more spline engagement now and much smoother. Not convinced I need a sye the way I use the jeep.

Old June 13th, 2021, 19:04
NAXJA Member

Re: My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

No one WANTS to use an sye... it becomes a necessity when you play hard though. Getting better spline engagement is nice and all, good job there! Turing your rear ds into a pretzel and pooping all the trans fluid out the back of the tcase is a nightmare to deal with on the trail man. With an Sye you can limp home in front wheel drive with the busted rear DS tossed in the back seat
Old June 14th, 2021, 05:36
NAXJA Forum User

Probly will end up doing sye specialy now that this driveline turned out well. So I can truck on as planned spend alittle more on tge jb super short. If im gona do it going short as possible to make the longest driveline possible.

But absolutely uneeded more wanted and helps with future black box dreams. Every mod is a step towards the next mod.

Old June 15th, 2021, 21:50
NAXJA Forum User

Good plan on some practice runs. I've worked with it before rebuilding front bumper mounts so I've definitely burned thru several times

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk